This 36-page guidebook, part of the You Can! Steps to Healthier Aging Campaign, will help community organizations increase the number of older people who stay active and healthy by implementing a simple 12-week nutrition and walking program.
The guidebook addresses the following topics:
- Setting up your program
- Week 1:
- Eat better for health
- Orientation and enrollment
- Week 2:
- Move more for health
- Orientation to step...
This 14-page patient guide provides information on many aspects of lung transplantation. The tool is divided into the following sections:
- Why are lung transplants needed?
- Diseases and conditions that affect the lungs
- What kind of transplants can be considered?
- Can you be considered for lung transplantation?
- How will your transplant candidacy be evaluated?
- Benefits and risks of lung transplantation
- What will happen when you are...
Part of the American Medical Association’s “Educating Physicians on Controversies and Challenges in Health” series, this 5-minute video discusses strategies for overcoming language barriers and enhancing communication between physicians and patients with limited English proficiency.
The video addresses the following topics:
- Which type of language access service is needed during a clinical interaction?
- Definition of limited English proficiency and language access...
The Rural Information Center (RIC) provides information and referral services to local, tribal, State, and Federal government officials; community organizations; rural electric and telephone cooperatives; libraries; businesses; and citizens working to maintain the vitality of America’s rural areas. The RIC Web site contains more than 2,500 links to current and reliable information on a wide variety of rural resources and funding sources on the following topics:
- Agricultural safety...
Health professionals can use the Total Parenteral Nutrition Calculator to compute proper feeding amounts for children in the hospital.
The Total Parenteral Nutrition Calculator uses set rules and algorithms to produce a feeding plan and order sheets for newborns, and issues warnings if something is incorrect about the inputs or assumptions.
This information system for nutrition ordering:
- Checks dose ranges
- Ensures legible orders
- Ensures compliance with...
This report explores the topic of effective individual risk management in community-based services among States engaged in risk planning for Medicaid home- and community-based services (HCBS) waiver participants. Administrators from 11 State operating agencies, representing a range of waiver types and geographic areas, were interviewed for this report. These agencies served at least one of four waiver populations (the elderly, people with physical disabilities, people with mental retardation...
This six-page fact sheet, part of the Stay in Circulation national awareness campaign, answers key questions about peripheral arterial disease (P.A.D.) in African Americans and provides steps patients can take to reduce their risk.
This tool provides the following information:
- What is P.A.D.?
- What causes P.A.D.?
- What are the signs and symptoms of P.A.D.?
- How is P.A.D. diagnosed?
- Medical and family history
- Physical exam
This toolkit details the experiences of a workgroup of Medicaid managed care organizations that collaborated to develop new ways of identifying members of racial and ethnic subgroups, to measure gaps in care and to explore ways to improve health care quality. The workgroup members designed innovative strategies to uncover and address disparities in three targeted areas: birth outcomes and immunizations, asthma care, and diabetes care.The toolkit includes the following sections:
This Web site contains concepts, tips, and tools for evaluating the quality of health care for children. This online resource can help to answer the following (and related) questions about measuring health care quality in child health programs:
- How can you tell whether children are receiving quality health care?
- How do you know when a health program is functioning effectively?
- Where can you find tools to help answer these questions?
- If the right tool is not...
This 75-page resource guide by ECRI provides in-depth information on bulimia nervosa and treatment to help families and friends support someone with the disorder.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- What is bulimia nervosa?
- Who develops bulimia nervosa?
- What causes bulimia nervosa?
- What are the risk factors?
- What are the signs and symptoms of bulimia nervosa?
- How is bulimia nervosa diagnosed?
- Can bulimia nervosa be...