Part of the American Medical Association’s “Educating Physicians on Controversies and Challenges in Health” series, this 5-minute video discusses strategies for overcoming language barriers and enhancing communication between physicians and patients with limited English proficiency.
The video addresses the following topics:
- Which type of language access service is needed during a clinical interaction?
- Definition of limited English proficiency and language access...
Health professionals can use the Total Parenteral Nutrition Calculator to compute proper feeding amounts for children in the hospital.
The Total Parenteral Nutrition Calculator uses set rules and algorithms to produce a feeding plan and order sheets for newborns, and issues warnings if something is incorrect about the inputs or assumptions.
This information system for nutrition ordering:
- Checks dose ranges
- Ensures legible orders
- Ensures compliance with...
This 75-page resource guide by ECRI provides in-depth information on bulimia nervosa and treatment to help families and friends support someone with the disorder.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- What is bulimia nervosa?
- Who develops bulimia nervosa?
- What causes bulimia nervosa?
- What are the risk factors?
- What are the signs and symptoms of bulimia nervosa?
- How is bulimia nervosa diagnosed?
- Can bulimia nervosa be...
This 58-page pocket guide is provided as an information resource to assist physicians and other health professionals in the appropriate treatment of patients with HIV/AIDS. This pocket guide supports A Guide to Primary Care of People with HIV/AIDS, 2004 Edition , and provides an easy reference for point-of-care decisionmaking.
The guide includes the following information:
- Drug information tables
- Adult antiretroviral therapy tables
This tool provides information to women about HIV/AIDS research and clinical trials.
The following topics are addressed:
- Women’s Interagency HIV Study—Designed to investigate the history and course of HIV infection in women
- Clinical trials—Research studies designed to find out if new drugs, vaccines, or other treatments are safe and if they work
- Microbicide research—Research studies on microbicides, which are gels, creams, or foams that are applied to prevent...
This tool provides information about how to keep food and water safe after a natural disaster or power outage. It is organized into the following sections:
- Identify and throw away food that may not be safe to eat
- Storing food safely
- Feeding infants and young children
- Clean and sanitize food-contact surfaces
- Related resources
This toolkit details the experiences of a workgroup of Medicaid managed care organizations that collaborated to develop new ways of identifying members of racial and ethnic subgroups, to measure gaps in care and to explore ways to improve health care quality. The workgroup members designed innovative strategies to uncover and address disparities in three targeted areas: birth outcomes and immunizations, asthma care, and diabetes care.The toolkit includes the following sections:
This 13-page booklet will help women learn more about the importance of physical activity and healthy eating in their daily lives. It will also help them talk with their health care providers about these topics and set healthy goals.
This guide presents the following information:
- Getting started (questions for women to answer for themselves and to discuss with their health care provider)
- Talking with my health care provider (ideas on how to start a conversation with...
This 15-page booklet provides information about breastfeeding to help American Indian and Alaska Native women.
This booklet addresses the following topics:
- Benefits of breastfeeding for infants, mothers, the community, and the future
- Is breastfeeding easy?
- How do I get started?
- Answers to frequently asked questions about breastfeeding
- Where can I go for help?
- Summary of information for breastfeeding success
This tool kit provides women with information about the importance of early detection and screening for breast cancer and instructions for a breast self-exam (BSE).
The tool kit includes:
- Breast self awareness information
- BSE instructional tool (available in English, Spanish, and Hindi)
- BSE card
- This full-color waterproof card illustrates and describes the technique of BSE. Monthly punch-...