This fact sheet can be used by health care providers to educate their patients about the importance of calcium consumption in children and teenagers.
This fact sheet is part of Milk Matters, a public health education campaign to promote calcium consumption among tweens and teens, especially during the ages of 11 to 15, a time of critical bone growth.
This fact sheet answers the following questions:
- How does pediatric bone...
This summary provides evidence of the benefit and harm of various cervical cancer screening techniques.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Summary of evidence
- Evidence of benefit
- Evidence of harm
- Accuracy of the Pap test
- New screening technologies
- Screening women who have had a hysterectomy
- Screening interval
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) testing
- Screening older...
This database provides State- and county-level health data for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, and U.S. territories and possessions. Data are available by gender and race/ethnicity and come from a variety of National and State sources. Users can generate custom tables, graphs, and maps.
Database users follow a three-step process:
- Select variables, from among 11 categories:
- Health care access
- Codes and status for geographic area
This 18-page booklet provides concise, disease-specific nutrition information for physicians caring for older adults with the following conditions:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary heart disease
- Diabetes mellitus
The guide provides nutritional screening parameters, treatment options, and outcome measures for...
This document is intended for occupational health professionals and other clinicians who are responsible for physical and mental health oversight of workers who have deployed or worked in hurricane disaster response. This tool offers guidance for screening workers who may have been exposed to potential work-related adverse health consequences as a result of working in unclean or unstable work environments, such as hurricane recovery areas.
This tool addresses the following topics:...
This brochure for women provides recommendations for taking medicines wisely.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Read the label
- Avoid problems
- Ask questions
- Keep a record of medicines you use
- List your prescription medicines
This checklist is intended to heighten the awareness and sensitivity of personnel to the importance of cultural diversity, cultural competence, and linguistic competence in early childhood settings. It provides concrete examples of the kinds of practices that foster such an environment.
This checklist can be used to assess cultural and linguistic competence in the following areas:
- Physical environment, materials, and resources
- Communication styles ...
This fact sheet for parents of high school athletes is part of the toolkit for coaches, Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports. It addresses the following topics:
- What is a concussion?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a concussion?
- What should you do if you think your teenage athlete has a concussion?
This 296-page guide is designed to help clinicians and researchers understand the critical issues involved in formally evaluating alcohol treatment and planning treatment for individuals and to select the assessment instruments best suited to their purposes.
The guide provides guidance and instruments for
- Screening for alcohol use disorders
- Making a formal alcohol-related diagnosis or quantifying symptoms
- Assessing drinking behavior (quantity, frequency,...
This 11-page brochure for consumers addresses the harmful effects of drinking while taking certain medicines.
This brochure includes the following sections:
- Did you know
- Medicines may have many ingredients
- Some medicines contain alcohol
- Alcohol affects women differently
- Older people face greater risk
- Timing is important
- Commonly used medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter) that interact with alcohol ...