This one-page fact sheet is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's “Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work” campaign. It provides parents with information about otitis media with effusion (OME) and ear infections. This tool addresses the following questions:
- What are the main kinds of ear infections?
- What causes OME?
- Are antibiotics ever needed for OME?
- What should I do?
- Why not try antibiotics now?
This wallet card explains what an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor is and lists questions about hearing loss that parents/guardians may want to ask their child’s ENT doctor. It provides space for information about the ENT doctor and tests to be performed, as well as blank space next to each question in which to record what the parent/guardian has learned during the appointment.
This summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of prostate cancer.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- General information
- Cellular classification
- Stage information
- Tumor, nodes, metastasis (TNM) definitions
- American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) stage groupings
- Jewett staging system
Medicines In My Home is an interactive educational program about the safe and effective use of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines. It includes materials geared to both students and adults.
This Web site is divided into four sections:
- Teachers’ room
- Course description and objectives
- Teachers’ kit
- Classroom lesson materials
- Medicines in my home: Information for students on using OTC medicines safely
- Classroom lesson on safe OTC...
- Classroom lesson materials
This tool was developed to give parents and caregivers information about testing for global developmental delay in children.
This tool addresses the following questions:
- How will the doctor notice any developmental delays?
- What causes global developmental delay?
- How will the doctor diagnose the cause of global developmental delay?
- Genetic, molecular, and metabolic tests
- Screening for other disorders
- Standard genetic testing (chromosome...
This tool provides immunization information relevant to American Indian and Alaska Native populations.
This tool discusses the following topics:
- Why immunize our children
- Vaccines can prevent these diseases
- Where immunizations are provided
- Vaccination coverage levels
- Links to brochure and posters
- Links to government sites
A safety checklist program can help administrators, coordinators, and teachers bring their schools into compliance with Federal or State Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations. This information can also be used by colleges and universities with occupational safety and health programs. The checklists in this guide are based primarily on the regulations and standards of OSHA, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and other Federal agencies.
This is a summary of the American Academy of Neurology and Child Neurology Society guideline on screening and diagnosis for autism. This practice parameter reviews the available empirical evidence and gives specific recommendations for the identification of children with autism.
This summary addresses the following:
- Routine developmental surveillance and screening specifically for autism
- Diagnosis and evaluation of autism
To help determine whether noninvasive tests are sufficiently accurate to be appropriate for evaluation of women with an abnormal mammogram or exam finding, this report summarizes available data on the performance of these tests in the evaluation of women presenting with breast abnormalities that suggest the possibility of breast cancer.
The report addresses the following questions:
- What are the sensitivity and specificity of the tests for diagnosis of breast cancer in women...
This interactive decision-support tool assists consumers who are considering signing up for Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage.
After answering a short series of questions on this Web site, users will learn the following:
- How their current insurance or other prescription drug coverage affects their options and rights under Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage
- Whether they qualify for extra help with their costs under Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage...