The School Health Index (SHI) is a self-assessment and planning tool that schools can use to improve their health and safety policies and programs. It is structured around the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s eight-component model of a coordinated school health program. The assessment tools are available in interactive online versions or as printable PDF files.
This Web site provides the following information:
- Introduction: What can the SHI do for my school...
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about breast cancer prevention.
Information about the following is included in this summary:
- Breast cancer incidence and mortality statistics and information about breast cancer risk factors
- Interventions for breast cancer prevention
- Benefits and harms of interventions to prevent breast cancer
The Long-Term Care Planning Tool presents users with a series of questions and then calculates their long-term care costs, available services, and financing options. Other resources are also provided to assist users in understanding their long-term care options.
This Web page enables users to view the following long-term care services and options:
- Long-term care projected costs report
- Long-term care services report
- Family support and caregiving
This tool enables users to find out where they can learn more about getting a free or low-cost mammogram and Pap test. Users can access information for a specific State or Territory as well as for American Indian/Alaska Native organizations.
For each State/Territory/organization, the following types of information are provided:
- Contact information to learn more about getting screened
- Program information for breast and cervical cancer early detection
This fact sheet answers the following common questions about chlamydia:
- What is chlamydia and how common is it?
- How do you get chlamydia?
- What are the symptoms of chlamydia?
- How is chlamydia diagnosed?
- Who should get tested for chlamydia?
- What is the treatment for chlamydia?
- What should I do if I have chlamydia?
- What health problems can result from untreated chlamydia?
- How can chlamydia be prevented?
- Links to...
This fact sheet can be used by health care providers to educate their patients about the importance of calcium consumption in children and teenagers.
This fact sheet is part of Milk Matters, a public health education campaign to promote calcium consumption among tweens and teens, especially during the ages of 11 to 15, a time of critical bone growth.
This fact sheet answers the following questions:
- How does pediatric bone...
This fact sheet for parents of high school athletes is part of the toolkit for coaches, Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports. It addresses the following topics:
- What is a concussion?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a concussion?
- What should you do if you think your teenage athlete has a concussion?
This one-page fact sheet is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's “Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work” campaign. It provides parents with information about otitis media with effusion (OME) and ear infections. This tool addresses the following questions:
- What are the main kinds of ear infections?
- What causes OME?
- Are antibiotics ever needed for OME?
- What should I do?
- Why not try antibiotics now?
This database provides State- and county-level health data for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, and U.S. territories and possessions. Data are available by gender and race/ethnicity and come from a variety of National and State sources. Users can generate custom tables, graphs, and maps.
Database users follow a three-step process:
- Select variables, from among 11 categories:
- Health care access
- Codes and status for geographic area
This 18-page booklet provides concise, disease-specific nutrition information for physicians caring for older adults with the following conditions:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary heart disease
- Diabetes mellitus
The guide provides nutritional screening parameters, treatment options, and outcome measures for...