This manual addresses the definition, scope, causes, and consequences of child abuse and neglect. It presents an overview of prevention efforts and the child protection process, from identification and reporting through investigation and assessment, to service provision and closure. It also describes the roles and responsibilities of various community members (including health care providers) in conducting these activities and working collaboratively.
This manual addresses the...
This brochure, developed for college peer educators and resident advisors, contains highlights from the report, A Call to Action: Changing the Culture of Drinking at U.S. Colleges . It can be used to help this group understand the extent of the problem of college drinking, speak knowledgeably about it, and be proactive in taking steps to address it at their schools.
Topics addressed in this brochure include:
- A snapshot of annual high-risk college drinking...
Communities are using the walk or bike to school as the first step to change community culture and create environments that are more inviting for everyone, young and old. This Web page provides information and materials to support local implementation of International Walk to School Month/Day in October of each year.
The campaign encourages walking or biking to school to:
- Enhance the health of kids
- Improve air quality and the environment
- Create safer routes...
This toolkit provides resources for policymakers, health plans, and clinicians and addresses the gap between what can be delivered to children with special health care needs and what is actually received.
This toolkit includes the following sections:
- Foreword: Who are children with special needs?
- Improving quality for children with special needs
- The challenge of serving children with special needs
- Opportunities to enhance services for children with...
The National Women’s Heath Information Center (NWHIC) provides a gateway to the vast array of Federal and other women’s health information resources. This Web site can help users link to, read, and download a wide variety of materials related to women’s health developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), other Federal agencies, and private sector organizations.
The Web site includes the following major sections:
- About womenshealth.gov
This 68-page guide is designed to help consumers find and compare nursing homes. It can help families make the best choice when planning ahead or when they need to make an unexpected decision.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Important information if you have Medicare
- For readers who are helping another person choose a nursing home
- How to use this booklet
- Who can help answer questions?
- Choosing the type of...
The Long-Term Care Planning Tool presents users with a series of questions and then calculates their long-term care costs, available services, and financing options. Other resources are also provided to assist users in understanding their long-term care options.
This Web page enables users to view the following long-term care services and options:
- Long-term care projected costs report
- Long-term care services report
- Family support and caregiving
The Emory University Reynolds Program has established the Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment Pocket Card to be used as a teaching module reference for providers caring for geriatric patients.
This pocket card addresses the following topics:
- Basics in Geriatrics “Big 10” - 10 principles that differentiate the care of older patients from other patient populations
- Recommendations for Geriatric Assessment - a chart plotting the Big...
This tool enables users to find out where they can learn more about getting a free or low-cost mammogram and Pap test. Users can access information for a specific State or Territory as well as for American Indian/Alaska Native organizations.
For each State/Territory/organization, the following types of information are provided:
- Contact information to learn more about getting screened
- Program information for breast and cervical cancer early detection
This tool provides information about mammograms and other breast imaging procedures.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Screening mammograms
- American Cancer Society recommendations for early breast cancer detection
- Diagnostic mammograms
- Tips for having a mammogram
- What to expect when you get a mammogram
- Help with mammogram costs
- Regulation of mammography
- What does the doctor look for on your mammogram?