The goal of this Web-based video seminar is to help protect student athletes from skin infections. The video makes extensive use of animation, special effects, graphics, and studio and on-location shooting. It is suitable for all sports with a special module devoted to the issues and procedures germane to wrestling.
Topics covered include:
- What are skin infections?
- How are they spread?
- How can they be prevented?
- How do I know if I have one?...
This toolkit, from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), provides validated, evidence-based clinical knowledge, resources, and guidelines for implementing the ABCDE Bundle to prevent the unintended consequences of critical illness such as delirium, prolonged ventilation, and excessive muscular deterioration. The toolkit simplifies sharing of critical learning and implementation of new initiatives in patient care units. Most tools are available in a customizable format that...
These resources can be used to educate patients on a wide range of health issues. The resources available include guides, brochures, flyers, and more.
Topics covered are:
- Brain and nerves
- Coumadin ® (also known as warfarin)
- Fall prevention
- Hip replacement
- Intravenous access
- Safety issues
- Self catheterization
This online guide for consumers presents general information on hearing aids and types of hearing loss, as well as how to get a hearing evaluation, how to choose a device, and how to have it properly adjusted.
The guide includes the following topics and resources:
- Hearing loss
- Types of hearing aids
- Benefits and safety issues
- Hearing aids and cell phones
- How to get hearing aids
- Other products and devices to...
This toolkit focuses on two interventions to improve critical care—reduction of catheter-related bloodstream infections and ventilator-associated pneumonia.
The toolkit includes:
- Prevention of catheter-related bloodstream infections
- Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia - part 1
- Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia - part 2
- Sedation and delirium: monitoring and management
- Prevention of ventilator-associated...
This tool provides links for downloading five campaign posters that emphasize the importance of personal protective equipment and handwashing as a means to reduce the risk of infection in health care settings. These posters are intended for both clinical and general audiences. Two of the posters are also available in Spanish.
This wallet card explains what an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor is and lists questions about hearing loss that parents/guardians may want to ask their child’s ENT doctor. It provides space for information about the ENT doctor and tests to be performed, as well as blank space next to each question in which to record what the parent/guardian has learned during the appointment.
This wallet card explains what an audiologist is and lists questions that parents/guardians may want to ask their child’s audiologist. It provides space for information about the audiologist and test to be performed and lists questions, which are organized in the following topic areas:
- Questions about my/our child’s hearing loss
- Questions about hearing aids and cochlear implants
- Questions about communication options and education
- Questions about support...
This 11-minute DVD uses video excerpts from 50 actual chest tube insertion procedures to illustrate problems that may occur. The DVD can be used as a tutorial for physicians in hospitals, including surgical and emergency department residents, on the correct technique for inserting chest tubes and the common pitfalls in clinical practice.
The Web site provides the following information:
- Key messages
- Information for ordering the DVD
Medical errors can occur at many points in the health care system, particularly in hospitals. This 2-page fact sheet provides the following 10 tips that hospitals can implement to improve patient safety:
- Assess and improve patient safety culture (by surveying unit staff)
- Build teamwork (by improving staff communication)
- Limit shifts for hospital staff, if possible
- Insert chest tubes safely
- Prevent central line-related bloodstream infections...