Congestive heart failure
The Expecting Success Toolkit provides tips for hospitals on improving the quality of care and reducing disparities.
The toolkit is divided into the following sections:
- You Can Live With Heart Failure: Includes the Living With Heart Failure Health Calendar (also available in Spanish)
- Instructions for inserting your logo into the Heart Failure Calendar
- Thinking About Disparities : Includes readiness to survey, promotional wall...
These health communication aides for clinicians can help them demonstrate to patients that organized self-management support can improve self-care behaviors and prevent hospitalizations.
These materials are available in two versions, currently being tested in a multicenter clinical trial. The versions are identical except for one aspect. Version 1 does not teach patients how to self-adjust their diuretic dose based on daily weights. Rather, it instructs patients to call their...
The STate Action on Avoidable Rehospitalizations (STAAR) Initiative of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and The Commonwealth Fund aims to reduce avoidable rehospitalizations and is focused on two components:
- A multistate learning community to improve transitions of care
- Targeted technical assistance to address systemic barriers to reducing avoidable rehospitalizations
The project Web site includes the following materials:
This brochure can help patients and their families understand congestive heart failure and current treatments, focusing on the use of a group of medications called beta blockers.
The brochure is divided into the following sections:
- Purpose of brochure
- Tips to help you manage your congestive heart failure
- Congestive heart failure
- What is congestive heart failure?
- Common causes
- Signs and...
The Chronic Disease Cost Calculator is a downloadable tool that supports States in:
- Estimating State Medicaid expenditures for six chronic diseases–congestive heart failure, heart disease, stroke, hypertension, cancer, and diabetes.
- Generating estimates of the costs to Medicaid of selected chronic diseases using customized inputs (e.g., prevalence rates and treatment costs).
Hospital At Home is an innovative health care model that can provide hospital-level care in a patient’s home as a full substitute for acute hospital care until the patient is ready for discharge to their primary care physician.
The Web site contains the following information and tools for organizations that are considering starting their own program:
- Is your organization ready for Hospital At Home?
- Innovation readiness assessment
- Readiness and...
This report provides data on inpatient hospital discharges for all Pennsylvania general and most specialty acute care hospitals, regardless of bed size. The information is hospital-specific and is presented in three regional versions (Western, Central/Northeastern, and Southeastern). This tool can assist consumers and purchasers in making more informed health decisions and can also aid providers in highlighting additional opportunities for quality improvement and cost containment.
This 18-page booklet provides concise, disease-specific nutrition information for physicians caring for older adults with the following conditions:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary heart disease
- Diabetes mellitus
The guide provides nutritional screening parameters, treatment options, and outcome measures for...
This one-page tool, in Microsoft(r) Word format, uses the colors of a stoplight to guide patients in managing their congestive heart failure symptoms. The tool is divided into green (“all clear”), yellow (“caution”), and red (“medical alert”) zones. For each zone, the tool provides signs and symptoms and allows the health care provider to give specific instructions for managing the condition, including guidance on when to seek emergency medical assistance.