This guide provides a process and resources to help primary care practice staff plan and implement an alcohol screening and brief intervention (SBI) to identify and assist patients who may be drinking too much. Alcohol SBI is a clinical preventive service recommended by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force for all adult patients. The guide lays out each of the steps required to plan, implement, and continually improve this preventive service as a routine element of standard practice. It...
This 11-page brochure for consumers addresses the harmful effects of drinking while taking certain medicines.
This brochure includes the following sections:
- Did you know
- Medicines may have many ingredients
- Some medicines contain alcohol
- Alcohol affects women differently
- Older people face greater risk
- Timing is important
- Commonly used medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter) that interact with alcohol ...
This pamphlet provides information on how to reduce alcohol consumption. It addresses the following topics:
- How to cut down on your drinking
- Steps to help you cut down on your drinking
- Write your reasons for cutting down or stopping
- Set a drinking goal
- Keep a “diary” of your drinking
- Tips to help you cut down
This five-page guide for older adults provides information on how to avoid medication and alcohol misuse.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Take steps on your own
- Signals that may indicate an alcohol- or medication-related problem
- Talk to someone you trust
- Share the right information with your health care professional
- List your prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as your dietary supplements and herbal preparations...
This guide for parents contains highlights from the report A Call to Action: Changing the Culture of Drinking at U.S. Colleges . It can help parents choose a college for their son or daughter, better understand campus culture, and get help for a student with an alcohol-related problem.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- A snapshot of annual high-risk college drinking consequences
- Parents: A primary influence
- Parents of a high school...
The aim of this booklet is to provide accurate information about alcohol use and misuse by women of various ages.
The booklet addresses the following topics:
- Women and drinking
- How much is too much?
- Moderate drinking: Benefits and risks
- Heavy drinking
- Alcohol in women’s lives: Safe drinking over a lifetime
- Women in young and middle adulthood
- Older women
This Web page provides women with information about the dangers of drinking during pregnancy.
This tool provides information on the following topics:
- When you are pregnant, drinking can hurt your baby
- Questions about alcohol and drinking during pregnancy
- Can I drink alcohol if I am pregnant?
- Is any kind of alcohol safe to drink during pregnancy?
- What if I drank during my last pregnancy and my baby was fine?
- Will these problems go away...
These Community How To Guides address fundamental components of planning and implementing a comprehensive underage drinking prevention program. The guides are designed to be brief, easy to read, and easy to use.
Each guide contains a resource section to assist readers in obtaining additional and detailed information about the topics covered in that guide. The appendices include useful tools for each topic area to help communities jump-start their planning...
This Guide to Action for Educators highlights key issues related to underage drinking found in the complete Call to Action To Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking. It was developed to provide educators and other school personnel with a guide to take action against underage drinking.
This guide provides facts and practical advice for parents on how to talk with their children about underage drinking. The guide supports the Start Talking Before They Start Drinking Campaign to combat underage drinking and to educate parents, youth, and others on the issue of alcohol abuse.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- What you need to know
- Underage drinking
- Alcohol and judgment
- Family influence
- What you...