The 29th report of the Surgeon General examines the toxicology, prevalence, health effects, and control of exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke.
This report includes the following information:
- Introduction, summary, and conclusions
- Toxicology of secondhand smoke
- Evidence of carcinogenic effects from secondhand smoke exposure
- Mechanisms of respiratory tract injury and disease caused by secondhand smoke exposure
- Mechanisms of secondhand smoke...
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) Division of Workplace Programs provides centralized access to information about drug-free workplaces and related topics.
Following is a list of the topics addressed:
- Drug testing
- For Federal agencies and employees
- For labs
- For specimen collectors
- For Medical Review Officers
- Drug Testing Advisory Board ...
This 28-page guide is designed to assist parents and guardians who want to help their 10- to 14-year-olds avoid alcohol.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Your young teen’s world
- The bottom line: A strong parent-child relationship
- Talking with your teen about alcohol
- Taking action: Prevention strategies for parents
- Could my child develop a drinking problem?
The Homelessness Resource Center (HRC) is an interactive community of providers, consumers, policymakers, researchers, and public agencies at Federal, State, and local levels who seek to improve the lives of people affected by homelessness who have mental health conditions, substance use issues, or histories of trauma.
The HRC’s updated site shares state-of-the-art knowledge and promising practices to prevent and end homelessness through:
- Training and technical...
This 66-page report describes the new understanding of dangerous drinking behavior by college students and its consequences for both drinkers and nondrinkers. It offers a simple framework aimed at changing the culture of drinking on college campuses. It addresses three primary constituencies: (1) individuals, including at-risk or alcohol-dependent drinkers; (2) the student population as a whole; and (3) the college and its surrounding community.
The report includes the following...
This brochure, developed for college peer educators and resident advisors, contains highlights from the report, A Call to Action: Changing the Culture of Drinking at U.S. Colleges . It can be used to help this group understand the extent of the problem of college drinking, speak knowledgeably about it, and be proactive in taking steps to address it at their schools.
Topics addressed in this brochure include:
- A snapshot of annual high-risk college drinking...
This pamphlet provides information on how to reduce alcohol consumption. It addresses the following topics:
- How to cut down on your drinking
- Steps to help you cut down on your drinking
- Write your reasons for cutting down or stopping
- Set a drinking goal
- Keep a “diary” of your drinking
- Tips to help you cut down
This lung health curriculum features lessons and a resource section designed with both the teacher and the student in mind. The lessons are specifically tailored for delivery to elementary school children in grades 3/4 and 5/6.
This educational guide is designed to help students:
- Develop a basic understanding of the lungs and asthma
- Learn ways that they can support classmates with asthma
- Develop a basic understanding of the lungs and the health effects of...
This 83-page guide by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) gives marriage and family therapists information and tools to treat individuals, couples, and families who are experiencing or are at risk for alcohol-related problems.
This guide includes the following major sections:
- An alcohol problems framework
- The continuum and prevalence of alcohol problems
- Alcohol problems in the context of the couple and the family
The Cool Spot is a Web site aimed at teenagers. It provides them with facts about underage drinking. The Web site provides the following features:
- Reality check: How much drinking is going on?
- Facts about alcohol
- Too much, too soon, too risky
- Meet your expectations
- Peer pressure
- The right to resist
- Real life
- Teach and volunteer corner