This 62-page guide was developed to help a wide range of groups and communities move from concerns about alcohol, tobacco, and illicit drug abuse to proven and practical solutions. It offers brief, practical, and easy-to-read information that is useful in planning and delivering prevention strategies.
Each two-page topic summary tells why the step is important and what it includes; provides tips on key tasks, choices, and pointers; and includes a highlight box with added advice or...
The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking has tools needed to take action against underage drinking. It explains why underage alcohol use is a major public health and safety issue and the damage it can do. It also suggests ways to end underage drinking in communities and across the country.
This report is a systematic review of the evidence on the effectiveness of community and population-based interventions to prevent tobacco use and to increase consumer demand for and implementation of effective cessation interventions; the impacts of smokeless tobacco marketing on smoking, use of those products, and population harm; and the directions for future research.
This evidence report addresses the following:
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Scope of the problem ...
The aim of this booklet is to provide accurate information about alcohol use and misuse by women of various ages.
The booklet addresses the following topics:
- Women and drinking
- How much is too much?
- Moderate drinking: Benefits and risks
- Heavy drinking
- Alcohol in women’s lives: Safe drinking over a lifetime
- Women in young and middle adulthood
- Older women
This guide, based on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations, was developed to assist clinicians with providing clinical preventive care to their patients.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preventive services recommended by the USPSTF
- Recommendations for adults
- Heart and vascular diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Injury and violence
- Mental health conditions...
This Guide to Action for Families highlights key issues related to underage drinking found in the complete Call to Action To Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking. It provides families with steps they can take against underage drinking in one’s home, family, community, and across the country.
This tool answers common questions about coughing including:
- Is coughing normal or abnormal?
- What causes cough?
- How does the body know when to make you cough?
- What is the cause if a person cannot stop coughing?
- Why is whooping cough (Pertussis) a common cause of subacute cough in adults? Isn’t whooping cough a childhood disease of the past?
- What about the causes of chronic cough?
- What about smoking as a cause of cough?
- If you...
This Web page provides women with information about the dangers of drinking during pregnancy.
This tool provides information on the following topics:
- When you are pregnant, drinking can hurt your baby
- Questions about alcohol and drinking during pregnancy
- Can I drink alcohol if I am pregnant?
- Is any kind of alcohol safe to drink during pregnancy?
- What if I drank during my last pregnancy and my baby was fine?
- Will these problems go away...
These screening instruments can aid clinicians and others in identifying patients with alcohol problems.
The following screening tools are presented:
- CAGE: Can identify alcohol problems over the lifetime
- T-ACE: Based on the CAGE, this tool is valuable for identifying a range of use, including lifetime use and prenatal use
- Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): Can detect alcohol problems experienced in the last year
This guide provides information on 120 key outcome indicators for evaluation of statewide comprehensive tobacco prevention and control programs. Indicators are organized by evidence-based logic models. Detailed information is provided for each indicator, including indicator definition, example data sources and measures, and graphic depictions of expert panel ratings across various criteria, such as overall quality and resource utilization.
This guide addresses the following topics:...