This tool answers common questions about coughing including:
- Is coughing normal or abnormal?
- What causes cough?
- How does the body know when to make you cough?
- What is the cause if a person cannot stop coughing?
- Why is whooping cough (Pertussis) a common cause of subacute cough in adults? Isn’t whooping cough a childhood disease of the past?
- What about the causes of chronic cough?
- What about smoking as a cause of cough?
- If you...
This Web page provides women with information about the dangers of drinking during pregnancy.
This tool provides information on the following topics:
- When you are pregnant, drinking can hurt your baby
- Questions about alcohol and drinking during pregnancy
- Can I drink alcohol if I am pregnant?
- Is any kind of alcohol safe to drink during pregnancy?
- What if I drank during my last pregnancy and my baby was fine?
- Will these problems go away...
This guide provides information on 120 key outcome indicators for evaluation of statewide comprehensive tobacco prevention and control programs. Indicators are organized by evidence-based logic models. Detailed information is provided for each indicator, including indicator definition, example data sources and measures, and graphic depictions of expert panel ratings across various criteria, such as overall quality and resource utilization.
This guide addresses the following topics:...
This brochure, for people with a family history of alcoholism, addresses genetic and behavioral factors influencing the risk for alcoholism. The brochure provides the following general guidelines on how to:
- Avoid underage drinking
- Drink moderately as an adult
- Talk to a health care professional
This brochure also includes a list of organizations that can provide help or information about alcohol abuse or alcoholism, as well as a short list of related...
This 296-page guide is designed to help clinicians and researchers understand the critical issues involved in formally evaluating alcohol treatment and planning treatment for individuals and to select the assessment instruments best suited to their purposes.
The guide provides guidance and instruments for
- Screening for alcohol use disorders
- Making a formal alcohol-related diagnosis or quantifying symptoms
- Assessing drinking behavior (quantity, frequency,...
The National Inventory of Mental Health Quality Measures provides a searchable database of more than 300 process measures for assessment and improvement of mental health and substance abuse care. These measures have been developed by government agencies, researchers, professional organizations, accreditors, health systems, employer purchasers, consumer coalitions, and commercial vendors. Each measure is accompanied by a clinical rationale, numerator and denominator specifications and...
Smokefree.gov provides information and professional assistance to support those who want to quit smoking.
The Web site allows users to choose the help that best fits their needs. Available assistance includes:
- An online step-by-step cessation guide
- Local and State telephone quitlines
- National Cancer Institute (NCI’s) national telephone quitline
- NCI’s instant messaging service
- Publications, which may be downloaded, printed, or ordered ...
This Web site focuses on National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month, which promotes the societal benefits of alcohol and drug use treatment, lauds the contributions of treatment providers, and promotes the message that recovery from alcohol and drug use disorders in all its forms is possible. Developed by the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Recovery Month activities have been held each September since 1998.
Hazelden’s Resources for Employers provides information to help employers prevent and address alcohol and drug addiction problems in the workplace.
Resources available include:
- Articles and products related to substance abuse
- Assessment - Is it addiction?
- FAQs about Hazelden programs
- Mental health fact sheets
- Drinking self-test
- Twelve Steps - Twelve Traditions
This 11-page brochure for consumers addresses the harmful effects of drinking while taking certain medicines.
This brochure includes the following sections:
- Did you know
- Medicines may have many ingredients
- Some medicines contain alcohol
- Alcohol affects women differently
- Older people face greater risk
- Timing is important
- Commonly used medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter) that interact with alcohol ...