This guide provides facts and practical advice for parents on how to talk with their children about underage drinking. The guide supports the Start Talking Before They Start Drinking Campaign to combat underage drinking and to educate parents, youth, and others on the issue of alcohol abuse.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- What you need to know
- Underage drinking
- Alcohol and judgment
- Family influence
- What you...
These four posters warn about the dangers of secondhand smoke.
Topics of the posters include:
- Protect yourself from secondhand smoke
- There’s no such thing as a no smoking section
- Secondhand smoke is dangerous to children
- Secondhand smoke is toxic
The posters are also available in Spanish.
The goal of this 87-page curriculum is to help health professionals and others who work with college students to identify and treat students who are at risk for or have alcohol-related problems. The methods presented are based on science and clinical experience and have been tested and used in a variety of settings. The protocols were specifically designed for busy, high-volume practices.
The curriculum is divided into the following teaching modules:
- Epidemiology and...
This guide, based on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations, was developed to assist clinicians with providing clinical preventive care to their patients.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preventive services recommended by the USPSTF
- Recommendations for adults
- Heart and vascular diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Injury and violence
- Mental health conditions...
The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking has tools needed to take action against underage drinking. It explains why underage alcohol use is a major public health and safety issue and the damage it can do. It also suggests ways to end underage drinking in communities and across the country.
This report is a systematic review of the evidence on the effectiveness of community and population-based interventions to prevent tobacco use and to increase consumer demand for and implementation of effective cessation interventions; the impacts of smokeless tobacco marketing on smoking, use of those products, and population harm; and the directions for future research.
This evidence report addresses the following:
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Scope of the problem ...
The aim of this booklet is to provide accurate information about alcohol use and misuse by women of various ages.
The booklet addresses the following topics:
- Women and drinking
- How much is too much?
- Moderate drinking: Benefits and risks
- Heavy drinking
- Alcohol in women’s lives: Safe drinking over a lifetime
- Women in young and middle adulthood
- Older women
These screening instruments can aid clinicians and others in identifying patients with alcohol problems.
The following screening tools are presented:
- CAGE: Can identify alcohol problems over the lifetime
- T-ACE: Based on the CAGE, this tool is valuable for identifying a range of use, including lifetime use and prenatal use
- Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): Can detect alcohol problems experienced in the last year
This Guide to Action for Families highlights key issues related to underage drinking found in the complete Call to Action To Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking. It provides families with steps they can take against underage drinking in one’s home, family, community, and across the country.
This tool answers common questions about coughing including:
- Is coughing normal or abnormal?
- What causes cough?
- How does the body know when to make you cough?
- What is the cause if a person cannot stop coughing?
- Why is whooping cough (Pertussis) a common cause of subacute cough in adults? Isn’t whooping cough a childhood disease of the past?
- What about the causes of chronic cough?
- What about smoking as a cause of cough?
- If you...