Disease or Clinical Category
This 75-page resource guide by ECRI provides in-depth information on bulimia nervosa and treatment to help families and friends support someone with the disorder.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- What is bulimia nervosa?
- Who develops bulimia nervosa?
- What causes bulimia nervosa?
- What are the risk factors?
- What are the signs and symptoms of bulimia nervosa?
- How is bulimia nervosa diagnosed?
- Can bulimia nervosa be...
This study examines conformance of current patterns of usual care for persons with schizophrenia with the Schizophrenia Patient Outcomes Research Team (PORT) treatment recommendations. The PORT surveyed a stratified random sample of 719 persons diagnosed with schizophrenia. Findings indicate that current usual treatment practices likely fall substantially short of what would be recommended based on the best evidence on treatment efficacy.
Treatment recommendations discussed encompass...
This brochure provides information for consumers about the importance of quitting tobacco.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Compulsion or addiction?
- Facts on tobacco use
- Individual implications
- Family, friends, and coworkers
- Facts on cessation
- Long-term benefits
- Immediate physical changes
- Weight gain myths debunked
- Smoking is expensive: Daily and yearly tobacco...
This 18-page guideline summary is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Medically Unexplained Symptoms: Chronic Pain and Fatigue, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense. It is intended to:
- Promote efficient and effective assessment of patients’ complaints
- Identify the critical decision points in management of patients with medically unexplained symptoms: chronic pain and fatigue
This tool presents some signs and symptoms of serious health conditions, which should be checked by a doctor or nurse including:
- Signs of a heart attack
- Signs of a stroke
- Symptoms of reproductive health problems
- Symptoms of breast problems
- Symptoms of lung problems
- Symptoms of stomach or digestive problems
- Symptoms of bladder problems
- Symptoms of skin problems
- Symptoms of muscle or joint problems
- Symptoms of...
The Oregon Heart Failure GAP (Guidelines Applied in Practice) Toolkit contains a variety of tools, some for clinicians treating patients suffering from heart failure, and others for heart failure patients themselves.
- Clinician tools:
- Clinician guide to heart failure treatment - For primary care clinicians
- Tips for increasing effectiveness of interactions with patients
- Sample heart failure visit template
- Patient tools:
- How to care...
The National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP) is an initiative of the National Institutes of Health, designed to reduce the morbidity and mortality caused by kidney disease and its complications.
NKDEP aims to raise awareness of the seriousness of kidney disease, the importance of testing those at high risk (those with diabetes, high blood pressure, or a family history of kidney failure), and the availability of treatment to prevent or slow kidney failure.
This tool answers questions about avian influenza (bird flu) and avian influenza A (H5N1).
Questions and answers are grouped into the following categories:
- Avian influenza
- Avian influenza A (H5N1)
- Influenza pandemic preparedness
- Avian influenza infection in animals
The aim of this booklet is to provide accurate information about alcohol use and misuse by women of various ages.
The booklet addresses the following topics:
- Women and drinking
- How much is too much?
- Moderate drinking: Benefits and risks
- Heavy drinking
- Alcohol in women’s lives: Safe drinking over a lifetime
- Women in young and middle adulthood
- Older women
Health professionals can use the Total Parenteral Nutrition Calculator to compute proper feeding amounts for children in the hospital.
The Total Parenteral Nutrition Calculator uses set rules and algorithms to produce a feeding plan and order sheets for newborns, and issues warnings if something is incorrect about the inputs or assumptions.
This information system for nutrition ordering:
- Checks dose ranges
- Ensures legible orders
- Ensures compliance with...