The Interagency Guideline on Prescribing Opioids for Pain offers a balanced approach to pain management that includes recommendations for using opioids when appropriate. This is an updated version of the 2010 guideline. The 2015 guideline expands its focus to include opioid use in acute, subacute, and perioperative pain phases and in special populations. It also includes sections on tapering and opioid use disorder. This guideline followed a rigorous and transparent development process and...
The Opioid Overdose Toolkit provides communities and local governments with material to develop policies and practices to help prevent opioid-related overdoses and deaths. This toolkit contains resources and information for first responders, prescribers, patients, family members, and those who are recovering from opioid overdose.
The toolkit includes the following sections:
- Facts for community members
- Five essential steps for first responders
This pharmacy health literacy tool was designed to capture perspectives of three critical audiences: objective auditors, pharmacy staff, and patients. The parts of the assessment are complementary and designed to form a comprehensive assessment.
Although the tool was designed to be used in outpatient pharmacies of large, urban public hospitals that primarily serve a minority population, it can be adapted for use in other pharmacy and non-pharmacy environments.
This toolkit provides downloadable educational materials specifically for physicians and other health care professionals and their staff to learn the basics about Medicare prescription drug coverage.
Contents of the toolkit include:
- Reproducible artwork
- Letter from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services administrator
- Fact sheet (English and Spanish)
- List of resources
This 19-page guide presents information to help older adults avoid problems with medication use.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Aging and health: You and your medicines
- Talk to your health care professionals
- What you need to know about your prescription medicines
- Taking prescription medicines
- Taking over-the-counter medicines
- Cutting medicine costs
- Tips for seniors on safe medicine use
- My medicine record...
This Web site presents questions for patients to ask their doctor, nurse, and/or pharmacist when prescribed a medication.
Some topics addressed include:
- Generic medications
- Potential side effects
- Issues to discuss with doctor about new prescriptions
Patients can use this form to keep track of all their medicines and supplements. Patients are encouraged to show it to their doctors and pharmacist at each visit and ask them to check for unnecessary duplications or medicines that could interact to cause harm.
This form includes the following fields to be completed by the patient:
- Name of medicine or product
- How much do I take?
- When and how do I take it?
- Why do I take it?
This tool will help Medicare beneficiaries learn more about the new Medicare prescription drug coverage and enable them to find and compare prescription drug plans that meet their personal needs.
This tool enables users to:
- Find a Medicare prescription drug plan
- Enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan
- View their current plan
- Learn more about drug coverage options
- Learn more about plans in their area
- Learn about important coverage...
This self assessment is a comprehensive tool designed to help health care providers and their staff assess the safety of medication practices in their pharmacy, identify opportunities for improvement, and compare their experience with the aggregate experiences of demographically similar community pharmacies around the Nation.
It is divided into the following 10 elements:
- Patient information
- Drug information
- Communication of drug orders...
This toolkit can be used by family and friends of Medicare beneficiaries to help the beneficiaries understand the new Medicare prescription drug coverage.
Family and friends of Medicare beneficiaries can use this toolkit to:
- Understand the basics of Medicare prescription drug coverage
- Determine how your friend or family member gets current prescription coverage today
- Gather some important information
- Review the plan choices
- Help them enroll...