Quality improvement strategies
This Web site, sponsored by the Office of Minority Health, offers the latest resources and tools to promote cultural competency in health care. It includes free online courses accredited for continuing education credit, as well as supplementary tools to help health care providers and organizations promote respectful, understandable, and effective care. Free registration is required to access some of these tools.
This site includes the following training materials:
FluAid 2.0 is a test version of software designed to assist State and local planners in preparing for the next influenza pandemic by providing estimates of potential impact specific to their locality. FluAid provides a range of estimates of impact in terms of deaths, hospitalizations, and outpatient visits due to pandemic influenza.
Users can download the software from this Web page and view the following information:
- National estimates of economic impact
The National Inventory of Mental Health Quality Measures provides a searchable database of more than 300 process measures for assessment and improvement of mental health and substance abuse care. These measures have been developed by government agencies, researchers, professional organizations, accreditors, health systems, employer purchasers, consumer coalitions, and commercial vendors. Each measure is accompanied by a clinical rationale, numerator and denominator specifications and...
This toolkit offers a structured approach for addressing quality improvement in prenatal care and a collection of “lessons learned” by health plans serving Medicaid members. It will help health plans review common barriers that Medicaid plans face in improving birth outcomes, develop strategies to overcome these barriers, review clinical and administrative strategies that other health plans have implemented, and measure incremental and long-term change.
This toolkit addresses the...
This Web site contains concepts, tips, and tools for evaluating the quality of health care for children. This online resource can help to answer the following (and related) questions about measuring health care quality in child health programs:
- How can you tell whether children are receiving quality health care?
- How do you know when a health program is functioning effectively?
- Where can you find tools to help answer these questions?
- If the right tool is not...
This eight-page guide is designed to help meeting and conference planners effectively integrate principles, content, and themes related to cultural and linguistic competence, no matter what the overall topic or goal of the meeting or conference. The guide addresses the following topics:
- Suggestions for planning meeting content
- Suggestions for planning meeting logistics
- Evaluation questions
- Sources of additional information on cultural...
This two-page flow sheet provides structured documentation for the assessment of patients with asthma and assists providers in embedding guidelines into daily practice.
The flow sheet includes fields for recording the following information:
- Vital signs and lung function tests
- Current symptoms
- Recent daytime symptoms
- Recent nighttime symptoms
- B2-agonist use
- ER visits
- Missed school
- Home peak flow rates
This fact sheet includes suggestions on how to communicate effectively with and about people with disabilities.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Affirmative phrases
- Negative phrases
- General tips for communicating with people with disabilities
- Tips for communicating with individuals who are blind or visually impaired
- Tips for communicating with individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing...
The On-Time Quality Improvement for Long-Term Care program is designed to improve day-to-day practice in nursing homes, improve and redesign workflow, enrich work culture, and reduce pressure ulcers.
The program contains the following tools available for download:
- Frequently asked questions
- Case studies
- Sample weekly monitoring reports
- Process improvement discussion guide
- Quick tips for clinical reports
- Sample certified...
This report provides the basis for governments to accelerate their timetable for the adoption of wait-time for health services benchmarks, the setting of targets, and the implementation of strategies to meet the targets. It addresses the following:
- Defining wait-time benchmarks
- When does the clock start ticking
- “First principles” to guide development of wait-time benchmarks
- The Waiting Time Alliance’s (WTA’s) proposed wait-time benchmarks...