Quality improvement strategies
This one-page flow sheet assists providers in scheduling followup care for patients with colon cancer. It enables providers to record the following information:
- Date of diagnosis
- Dates and values of carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) testing
- Target dates for counseling visits, computed tomography (CT) scans, and colonoscopy
This report (the first volume in a series) provides an overview of methods and theoretical underpinnings of the quality improvement (QI) field of study. A critical analysis of the existing literature on quality improvement strategies for a selection of 20 disease and practice priorities identified in a 2003 Institute of Medicine report was compiled to bring data to bear on this “quality gap” and the opportunities that exist to bridge it.
This volume presents the following information...
Mistake-Proofing the Design of Health Care Processes is a synthesis of practical examples from the real world of health care on the use of process or design features to prevent medical errors or the negative impact of errors. It contains over 150 examples of mistake-proofing that can be applied in health care–and in many cases relatively inexpensively.
In Mistake-Proofing the Design of Health Care Processes, risk managers and chief medical officers will benefit from common-sense...
This 24-page report outlines recommendations for a manageable number of performance measures that States can use to assure the quality of integrated care in their contracts with special needs plans, which offer significant new opportunities to integrate Medicaid and Medicare coverage for beneficiaries who are dually eligible.
This report addresses the following topics:
- Overview of performance measurement for integrated care programs
- Center for Health Care Strategies...
The National Inventory of Mental Health Quality Measures provides a searchable database of more than 300 process measures for assessment and improvement of mental health and substance abuse care. These measures have been developed by government agencies, researchers, professional organizations, accreditors, health systems, employer purchasers, consumer coalitions, and commercial vendors. Each measure is accompanied by a clinical rationale, numerator and denominator specifications and...
This checklist offers interventions to increase overall compliance with hand hygiene guidelines in a health care setting.
The interventions on this checklist address the following areas:
- Making changes on the walls and countertops and in the supply closet
- Actions for infection control professionals, patient safety managers, quality managers, nurses, and supply personnel
- Required policies/rules/training/awareness
- Promoting culture change
This Web site contains concepts, tips, and tools for evaluating the quality of health care for children. This online resource can help to answer the following (and related) questions about measuring health care quality in child health programs:
- How can you tell whether children are receiving quality health care?
- How do you know when a health program is functioning effectively?
- Where can you find tools to help answer these questions?
- If the right tool is not...
The On-Time Quality Improvement for Long-Term Care program is designed to improve day-to-day practice in nursing homes, improve and redesign workflow, enrich work culture, and reduce pressure ulcers.
The program contains the following tools available for download:
- Frequently asked questions
- Case studies
- Sample weekly monitoring reports
- Process improvement discussion guide
- Quick tips for clinical reports
- Sample certified...
This leadership guide is an informational and organizational tool to support the Remaking American Medicine campaign, a grassroots initiative to mobilize the public in demanding and supporting sweeping change throughout the American health system.
This guide includes the following:
- Overview: A system in need of critical care
- How to use the Leadership Guide
- Remaking American Medicine (four-part film series)
- National outreach campaign...
This report provides the basis for governments to accelerate their timetable for the adoption of wait-time for health services benchmarks, the setting of targets, and the implementation of strategies to meet the targets. It addresses the following:
- Defining wait-time benchmarks
- When does the clock start ticking
- “First principles” to guide development of wait-time benchmarks
- The Waiting Time Alliance’s (WTA’s) proposed wait-time benchmarks...