Quality improvement strategies
This fact sheet summarizes the results of research that have contributed to a better understanding of the disparities in the prevalence of diabetes and related complications among different racial and ethnic groups, identification of some of the barriers to health care that contribute to these disparities, and identification of changes that could be made to eliminate the barriers and reduce the disparities.
This guide was developed to be an evaluation tool for purchasers, particularly employers, in assessing their value-based health care purchasing (VBP) activities. This guide has two primary objectives:
- To encourage purchasers, and especially employers, to conduct formal evaluations of their VBP activities.
- To facilitate that effort by presenting an evaluation process that purchasers can adopt and adapt to their projects.
This guide is organized into two parts....
This manual outlines all of the key elements of a system of excellent care for people with depression.
This tool addresses the following depression care topics:
- The challenge
- The solution
- Care model checklist
- Decision support
- Clinical information system
- Delivery system design
- Organization of health care
- Care model: Changes for specific populations
This flow sheet, derived from the 2006 update of an American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline, provides a tool for documenting the rationale and details for administration of white blood cell growth factors (colony-stimulating factors).
This flow sheet enables providers to record the following information:
- Patient information
- Justification for use
- Primary administration (preventive)
- Secondary administration (preventive)
- Therapeutic use...
This 5-minute video includes an overview of health care disparities and some strategies for physicians to reduce them within their own practices.
This tool address various aspects of the issues surrounding disparities within health care, including:
- Definition of health care disparities
- Examples of health care disparities
- Cardiac care
- Sources of health care disparities
- The health care system
- The health care system
This 108-page report examines alternatives for managing the chronic symptoms of uncomplicated gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in patients who may require long-term treatment. It summarizes the available evidence comparing the efficacy and safety of medical, surgical, and endoscopic interventions in the treatment of chronic GERD, particularly after long-term followup.
This report addresses the following questions:
- What is the evidence of the comparative effectiveness...
This 200-page resource manual outlines a systems approach to medication management in long-term care. It is designed to provide nursing home staff with a step-by-step guide through the key processes of a comprehensive medication management system and address areas that can lead to the reduction of medication errors. In addition, tools are offered as strategies to reduce the incidence and harm of errors.
The topics addressed in this manual include the following:...
This one-page flow sheet assists providers in scheduling followup care for patients with colon cancer. It enables providers to record the following information:
- Date of diagnosis
- Dates and values of carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) testing
- Target dates for counseling visits, computed tomography (CT) scans, and colonoscopy
This document helps community planning groups, health departments, and other stakeholders understand the issues behind Latino participation in HIV prevention community planning, as well as increase Latino participation in the process. It is a compilation of information collected from a series of regional/national meetings, where Latino staff of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National Technical Assistance (TA) Providers' Network for Community Planning facilitated...
The Emory University Reynolds Program has established the Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment Pocket Card to be used as a teaching module reference for providers caring for geriatric patients.
This pocket card addresses the following topics:
- Basics in Geriatrics “Big 10” - 10 principles that differentiate the care of older patients from other patient populations
- Recommendations for Geriatric Assessment - a chart plotting the Big...