Prevention and wellness
This interactive tool allows parents to view developmental milestones for children at various ages, between 2 months and 5 years.
This tool provides information on milestones in the following categories:
- Social and emotional
- Hand and finger skills
- Hearing and speech
This tool provides information to women about HIV/AIDS research and clinical trials.
The following topics are addressed:
- Women’s Interagency HIV Study—Designed to investigate the history and course of HIV infection in women
- Clinical trials—Research studies designed to find out if new drugs, vaccines, or other treatments are safe and if they work
- Microbicide research—Research studies on microbicides, which are gels, creams, or foams that are applied to prevent...
This fact sheet summarizes the results of research that have contributed to a better understanding of the disparities in the prevalence of diabetes and related complications among different racial and ethnic groups, identification of some of the barriers to health care that contribute to these disparities, and identification of changes that could be made to eliminate the barriers and reduce the disparities.
This Web site is the next generation of the 5-A-Day Program, a national initiative to increase consumption of fruit and vegetables. The site offers the following:
- A calculator to find out how many fruits and vegetables you need each day, based on your daily caloric needs
- Tips on how to include fruits and vegetables in your daily diet
- Information on new fruits and vegetables to try
- Interactive tools such as “Analyze My Plate,” which...
This five-page guide for older adults provides information on how to avoid medication and alcohol misuse.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Take steps on your own
- Signals that may indicate an alcohol- or medication-related problem
- Talk to someone you trust
- Share the right information with your health care professional
- List your prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as your dietary supplements and herbal preparations...
This guidebook helps users determine their risk of heart disease and take steps to prevent it.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Heart disease: why should you care?
- What you need to know about heart disease
- What is heart disease?
- Who is at risk?
- How risk works
- What’s your risk?
- How to talk with your doctor
- Major risk factors
- High blood pressure
- High blood...
This guide teaches communities how to organize and implement the KidsWalk-to-School program, which aims to get children to walk and bicycle to and from school in groups accompanied by adults. This gives kids a chance to be more physically active, to practice safe pedestrian skills, and to learn more about their environment. At the same time, KidsWalk-to-School encourages people to change their neighborhoods for the better, working together, to make walking a safe and enjoyable part of...
This brochure for people with diabetes describes the links between diabetes and cardiovascular disease and emphasizes the importance of maintaining healthy cholesterol levels.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Why should I care about heart disease and stroke if I have diabetes?
- Diabetes increases your risk for heart and blood vessel problems
- How does diabetes hurt my blood vessels?
- Fat in your blood
- What are healthy...
This booklet for men can help answer questions about prostate changes that happen with age, such as:
- What are common prostate changes?
- How are these changes treated?
- What do I need to know about testing for prostate changes, including cancer?
This booklet addresses the following topics:
- Introduction to the prostate
- Prostate changes that are not cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Talking to your doctor
- Types of tests ...
This pocket guide is condensed from Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician’s Guide, a 30-page guide prepared by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) . It is organized into the following sections, using flowchart or tabular format:
- How to screen for heavy drinking
- How to assess for alcohol use disorders
- How to conduct a brief intervention (for at-risk drinking and for alcohol use disorders)
- What’s a...