Prevention and wellness
This toolkit offers a structured approach for addressing quality improvement for preventive care services and a collection of “lessons learned” by a diverse group of health plans serving Medicaid members. It offers realistic approaches to help health plans develop or improve preventive care programs.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- How will this toolkit benefit your health plan?
- Measuring for success: A process improvement strategy
- A typology...
This Web site focuses on health topics of interest to girls (ages 10-16) and helps motivate them to choose healthy behaviors by using positive, supportive, and non-threatening messages.
This Web site includes the following categories of content for girls:
- Illness and disability
- Drugs, alcohol, and smoking
- Your future
- News and more
Effective treatment for obesity is based on skillful and empathetic communication between practitioners and patients. This quick-reference card is part of a package for starting an effective weight management program in an office or clinic. It includes:
- Tips on how to discuss weight issues with patients
- Guide to determine patient’s health risks
This interactive tool allows parents to view developmental milestones for children at various ages, between 2 months and 5 years.
This tool provides information on milestones in the following categories:
- Social and emotional
- Hand and finger skills
- Hearing and speech
This fact sheet addresses planning healthy meals and provides tips for making healthy food choices.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Are home cooked meals healthier than eating out?
- Is there an easy system for planning healthy meals?
- Menu map
- How to use your menu map
- Good ideas for healthy meals
- Tips for making healthy food choices when eating out
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about breast cancer prevention.
Information about the following is included in this summary:
- Breast cancer incidence and mortality statistics and information about breast cancer risk factors
- Interventions for breast cancer prevention
- Benefits and harms of interventions to prevent breast cancer
This Web site is the next generation of the 5-A-Day Program, a national initiative to increase consumption of fruit and vegetables. The site offers the following:
- A calculator to find out how many fruits and vegetables you need each day, based on your daily caloric needs
- Tips on how to include fruits and vegetables in your daily diet
- Information on new fruits and vegetables to try
- Interactive tools such as “Analyze My Plate,” which...
This five-page guide for older adults provides information on how to avoid medication and alcohol misuse.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Take steps on your own
- Signals that may indicate an alcohol- or medication-related problem
- Talk to someone you trust
- Share the right information with your health care professional
- List your prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as your dietary supplements and herbal preparations...
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is the lead Federal agency for research on mental and behavioral disorders. The NIMH mission is to reduce the burden of mental illness and behavioral disorders through research on mind, brain, and behavior.
The NIMH Web site contains the following features:
- Health and outreach
- Research funding
- Science news
- Research conducted at NIMH
The Health Information section of...
This pocket guide is condensed from Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician’s Guide, a 30-page guide prepared by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) . It is organized into the following sections, using flowchart or tabular format:
- How to screen for heavy drinking
- How to assess for alcohol use disorders
- How to conduct a brief intervention (for at-risk drinking and for alcohol use disorders)
- What’s a...