Prevention and wellness
The MyPyramid Education Framework explains the key concepts of the MyPyramid food guidance system, an interactive tool that assists Americans in making healthy food and activity choices. These key concepts provide a framework of ideas from which professionals can develop consumer messages and materials.
This 19-page framework includes the following information:
- Background on MyPyramid
- Overview of the MyPyramid food guidance system education framework
The National Women’s Heath Information Center (NWHIC) provides a gateway to the vast array of Federal and other women’s health information resources. This Web site can help users link to, read, and download a wide variety of materials related to women’s health developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), other Federal agencies, and private sector organizations.
The Web site includes the following major sections:
- About womenshealth.gov
This tool contains a list of the recommended vaccinations for people with hepatitis C. The page can either be used as a patient handout or hung in a physician’s office/clinic.
These slides are an education tool that provides accurate information on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD).
These slides present the following information:
- Understanding FASD
- FASD facts
- Cause of FASD
- FASD and alcohol
- Alcohol and women
- FASD and the brain
- Number of people with an FASD
- Prevention and risk reduction
- Prevention is the...
This 28-page guide is designed to assist parents and guardians who want to help their 10- to 14-year-olds avoid alcohol.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Your young teen’s world
- The bottom line: A strong parent-child relationship
- Talking with your teen about alcohol
- Taking action: Prevention strategies for parents
- Could my child develop a drinking problem?
This fact sheet offers tips to help protect patients from infections in the hospital.
Tips on this fact sheet are divided into the following categories:
- Planning ahead for surgery
- While in the hospital following surgery
This Web site provides information about this national campaign to link the Nation’s 10 million uninsured children–from birth to age 18–to free and low-cost health insurance. It provides the following:
- Information to help consumers learn more about health insurance for infants, children, and teens in their State
- Questions and answers about applying for low-cost or free health insurance for children
- Information to help spread the word to eligible families who may...
The Peripheral Arterial Disease (P.A.D.) Community Action Toolkit was developed to provide campaign partners with the instructions, tools, and resources necessary to implement community campaign activities in their local markets. This toolkit helps raise awareness of P.A.D. with consistent messages and materials. Organizations can customize messages and materials to address their specific needs.
This kit is organized into the following categories:
- Campaign overview
This brochure offers suggestions for preventing falls at home.
The brochure addresses the following topics:
- Hallways and stairs
This educational kit is intended for nurses, midwives, and other educators who make presentations on food safety for pregnant women. The materials are available in English and Spanish.
The tool kit contains the following materials:
- Educator’s resource guide
- Pregnancy and foodborne illness: Frequently asked questions
- Four simple steps to food safety
- Foodborne risks for moms-to-be
- Special precautions for moms-to-be