Prevention and wellness
This tool helps users find an HIV testing site and provides information about HIV testing.
For each site, this tool provides the following information:
- Name of organization
- Approximate distance
- Testing services provided
This tool also provides the following information:
- What you need to know
- The basics on HIV infection and AIDS
- Staying HIV negative
- Living with HIV/AIDS: Staying healthy, protecting others...
This 5-minute video explores the controversy over whether obesity can and should be classified as a disease from a public health and clinical perspective. It weighs the arguments on both sides of this controversy utilizing the semantic definition of obesity, and offers physicians guidance on the implications for patients and the public on each side of the issue.
This video includes topics such as:
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: an objective survey ...
This 21-page tool was developed to guide organizations, associations, and agencies in planning strategies to help people age 50 and older increase their physical activity.
This tool includes the following sections:
- Executive summary
- Section one
- Vision and guiding principles
- A snapshot of America’s aging population
- Types and benefits of physical activity
- Demographic shifts
- Chronic illness and the aging...
This tool provides information to women about HIV/AIDS research and clinical trials.
The following topics are addressed:
- Women’s Interagency HIV Study—Designed to investigate the history and course of HIV infection in women
- Clinical trials—Research studies designed to find out if new drugs, vaccines, or other treatments are safe and if they work
- Microbicide research—Research studies on microbicides, which are gels, creams, or foams that are applied to prevent...
This fact sheet helps adults over 50 learn the warning signs of cancer and provides information about treatment and prevention.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- What is cancer?
- What symptoms should I watch for?
- What regular tests should I have?
- Breast cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Cervical and other cancers
- Colorectal cancer
- Mouth and throat cancers
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer
This fact sheet summarizes the results of research that have contributed to a better understanding of the disparities in the prevalence of diabetes and related complications among different racial and ethnic groups, identification of some of the barriers to health care that contribute to these disparities, and identification of changes that could be made to eliminate the barriers and reduce the disparities.
This tool provides links for downloading 60 campaign posters on hand hygiene as a means to reduce the risk of infection. These posters are intended to promote hand hygiene to both clinical and general audiences in health care settings. Three of the posters are also available in Spanish.
This tool kit provides women with information about the importance of early detection and screening for breast cancer and instructions for a breast self-exam (BSE).
The tool kit includes:
- Breast self awareness information
- BSE instructional tool (available in English, Spanish, and Hindi)
- BSE card
- This full-color waterproof card illustrates and describes the technique of BSE. Monthly punch-...
This guide teaches communities how to organize and implement the KidsWalk-to-School program, which aims to get children to walk and bicycle to and from school in groups accompanied by adults. This gives kids a chance to be more physically active, to practice safe pedestrian skills, and to learn more about their environment. At the same time, KidsWalk-to-School encourages people to change their neighborhoods for the better, working together, to make walking a safe and enjoyable part of...
This Web page provides women with information about the dangers of drinking during pregnancy.
This tool provides information on the following topics:
- When you are pregnant, drinking can hurt your baby
- Questions about alcohol and drinking during pregnancy
- Can I drink alcohol if I am pregnant?
- Is any kind of alcohol safe to drink during pregnancy?
- What if I drank during my last pregnancy and my baby was fine?
- Will these problems go away...