Prevention and wellness
This five-page guide for older adults provides information on how to avoid medication and alcohol misuse.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Take steps on your own
- Signals that may indicate an alcohol- or medication-related problem
- Talk to someone you trust
- Share the right information with your health care professional
- List your prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as your dietary supplements and herbal preparations...
This slide show is a cessation intervention course which pharmacists and clinicians can take and earn free continuing education credit.
The objectives of this course are:
- Describe a new, redefined role for the pharmacist in the tobacco cessation process, positioning them as the initiator of the quit not solely as the provider of services.
- Summarize how the pharmacist can serve as a motivator and educator for cessation.
- Explain the importance of pharmacists...
This guidebook helps users determine their risk of heart disease and take steps to prevent it.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Heart disease: why should you care?
- What you need to know about heart disease
- What is heart disease?
- Who is at risk?
- How risk works
- What’s your risk?
- How to talk with your doctor
- Major risk factors
- High blood pressure
- High blood...
The Weight-control Information Network (WIN) is a national information service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), National Institutes of Health (NIH). WIN was established in 1994 to provide health professionals and consumers with science-based information on obesity, weight control, and nutrition.
WIN provides the following resources:
- Publications: including fact sheets, brochures, article reprints, and conference and workshop...
This brochure for people with diabetes describes the links between diabetes and cardiovascular disease and emphasizes the importance of maintaining healthy cholesterol levels.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Why should I care about heart disease and stroke if I have diabetes?
- Diabetes increases your risk for heart and blood vessel problems
- How does diabetes hurt my blood vessels?
- Fat in your blood
- What are healthy...
This Guide to Action for Families highlights key issues related to underage drinking found in the complete Call to Action To Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking. It provides families with steps they can take against underage drinking in one’s home, family, community, and across the country.
This booklet for men can help answer questions about prostate changes that happen with age, such as:
- What are common prostate changes?
- How are these changes treated?
- What do I need to know about testing for prostate changes, including cancer?
This booklet addresses the following topics:
- Introduction to the prostate
- Prostate changes that are not cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Talking to your doctor
- Types of tests ...
This tool provides tips to help parents and caregivers choose safe toys for their children.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- The creation of safe toy standards
- How toys are tested for safety
- Choosing toys for your child’s age group
- For infants, toddlers, and preschoolers
- For grade-schoolers
- Toys in your home
- Dangerous toys
- Loud toys
- Other things to consider
- Reporting unsafe toys ...
This summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about colorectal cancer screening.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Summary of evidence
- Evidence of benefit
- Fecal occult blood test (FOBT)
- Newer FOBTs: Nonrandomized controlled trial evidence
- Combination of FOBT and flexible sigmoidoscopy ...
This 5-minute video explores the controversy over whether obesity can and should be classified as a disease from a public health and clinical perspective. It weighs the arguments on both sides of this controversy utilizing the semantic definition of obesity, and offers physicians guidance on the implications for patients and the public on each side of the issue.
This video includes topics such as:
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: an objective survey ...