Prevention and wellness
This consumer guide outlines how to prevent cold-related health problems and what to do if a cold-weather health emergency arises.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- What is extreme cold?
- Plan ahead
- Indoor safety tips
- Outdoor safety tips
- Cold-weather health emergencies
This 32-page booklet will help patients and their health care providers plan ways to control asthma.
This booklet addresses the following topics:
- What is asthma?
- Why does asthma happen?
- Work with your health care provider
- How to use a peak flow meter
- Asthma diary
- Asthma action plan
- Asthma medicine
- How to take asthma medicines
- Asthma attacks can be dangerous
- Follow your asthma action plan
This fact sheet answers the following common questions about chlamydia:
- What is chlamydia and how common is it?
- How do you get chlamydia?
- What are the symptoms of chlamydia?
- How is chlamydia diagnosed?
- Who should get tested for chlamydia?
- What is the treatment for chlamydia?
- What should I do if I have chlamydia?
- What health problems can result from untreated chlamydia?
- How can chlamydia be prevented?
- Links to...
This consumer fact sheet presents information on stroke prevention, including warning signs and risk factors.
This toolkit offers a structured approach for addressing quality improvement in prenatal care and a collection of “lessons learned” by health plans serving Medicaid members. It will help health plans review common barriers that Medicaid plans face in improving birth outcomes, develop strategies to overcome these barriers, review clinical and administrative strategies that other health plans have implemented, and measure incremental and long-term change.
This toolkit addresses the...
This Web site presents information about the prevention, detection, treatment, and care of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). It is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Prevention Information Network (NPIN), which is the U.S. reference, referral, and distribution service for information on HIV/AIDS, STDs, and tuberculosis (TB). NPIN produces, collects, catalogs, and disseminates materials and information on STDs to organizations and people working in those...
This six-page fact sheet, part of the Stay in Circulation national awareness campaign, answers key questions about peripheral arterial disease (P.A.D.) and provides steps patients can take to reduce their risk.
This tool provides the following information:
- What is P.A.D.?
- What causes P.A.D.?
- What are the signs and symptoms of P.A.D.?
- How is P.A.D. diagnosed?
- Medical and family history
- Physical exam
- Diagnostic tests
Hazelden’s Resources for Employers provides information to help employers prevent and address alcohol and drug addiction problems in the workplace.
Resources available include:
- Articles and products related to substance abuse
- Assessment - Is it addiction?
- FAQs about Hazelden programs
- Mental health fact sheets
- Drinking self-test
- Twelve Steps - Twelve Traditions
This fact sheet answers common questions about mammograms. It addresses the following topics:
- What is the best method of detecting breast cancer?
- What is a mammogram?
- Are there different types of mammograms?
- How is a mammogram done?
- What if I have breast implants?
- How often should I get a mammogram?
- Where can I get a mammogram?
- How do I get ready for my mammogram?
- Are there any problems with mammograms?
This brochure provides advice to help consumers quit using tobacco.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- A new approach to life
- Coping with nicotine withdrawal
- Medications that can help
- Nicotine patch
- Nicotine gum
- Nicotine inhaler
- Nicotine nasal spray
- Buproprion (Zyban)
- You are ready to quit
- How do I begin?