Prevention and wellness
The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) collects information and resources to assist those working to end sexual violence and to improve resources, outreach, and responses.
NSVRC resources include:
- Materials: Information on types of sexual violence, outreach and prevention strategies/responses
- Organization: Links and information on programs working to end sexual violence
- Library: Online access to NSVRC’s database of print and electronic...
This Web site presents information about tuberculosis (TB). It is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) National Prevention Information Network (NPIN).
This site provides information on the following:
- What’s new in TB
- TB today
- The changing epidemiology of TB
- Populations most affected by TB
- Challenges to TB elimination
- TB elimination and control today
- Making the connection
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on routine vitamin supplementation to prevent cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Topics addressed include:
- What does the USPSTF recommend?
- What does the evidence indicate?
- Should people take vitamin supplements?
- What are the potential harms of vitamin supplements?
- More information
This tool provides information to help consumers navigate through the new MyPyramid food guidance system, an interactive tool that helps Americans make healthy food choices and be active every day.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- MyPyramid symbol – Explains the messages in the MyPyramid symbol
- MyPyramid’s basic messages – Gives consumers MyPyramid’s basic messages about healthy eating and physical activity
- MyPyramid Plan – Helps consumers find the...
This Web site offers patients and health professionals a variety of educational resources related to cancer. This site provides reliable information about cancer from the National Cancer Institute, Federal agencies, and other trusted sources. The site is updated regularly.
This site presents the following information regarding cancer:
- Types of cancer
- Prevention, genetics, causes
- Screening and testing
- Coping with cancer
The Bright Futures for Women’s Health and Wellness (BFWHW) initiative is a project of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Office of Women’s Health. The mission of BFWHW is to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate a variety of culturally competent consumer, provider, and community-based products for all women across their lifespan—including underserved and minority women. The Bright Futures materials help to promote women’s...
The Manager’s Kit includes all of the resources businesses need to build comprehensive HIV/AIDS workplace programs. The kit, which is available in English and Spanish, reviews the five components of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Business/Labor Responds to AIDS (BRTA/LRTA) program and enables managers to perform the following functions:
- Develop HIV/AIDS policies for their workplaces
- Train managers to conduct HIV/AIDS workshops
- Educate staff/...
This fact sheet presents several resources for eating healthy, maintaining a healthy weight, and being physically active, for the whole family and for children and adolescents.
This fact sheet includes the following sections:
- Healthy eating
- The best nutrition Web sites
- Understanding portion sizes
- Healthy restaurant choices
- Menu planning for home-cooked meals and snacks
- Free or low-cost...
The purpose of this booklet is to help consumers get quality health care. Tips are provided to encourage patients to be active in making decisions about their health care.
Topics addressed in this booklet include:
- Be active: Take charge of your health care
- Talking with your doctor
- Understanding health care quality
- Efforts to improve health care quality
- Clinical measures
- Finding quality information
- Report cards
This tool provides information about mammograms and other breast imaging procedures.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Screening mammograms
- American Cancer Society recommendations for early breast cancer detection
- Diagnostic mammograms
- Tips for having a mammogram
- What to expect when you get a mammogram
- Help with mammogram costs
- Regulation of mammography
- What does the doctor look for on your mammogram?