Prevention and wellness
This fact sheet provides recommendations for protecting children under 6 months against the flu.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Children at 6 months are at higher risk
- Advice for caregivers of children less than 2 years old
- Take time to get a vaccine
- Take everyday preventive steps
- Take antiviral drugs if your doctor says you need them
- Advice for caregivers who get the flu
- Remember how the...
This summary provides information to health care professionals on prostate cancer prevention.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Summary of evidence
- Benefits from finasteride chemoprevention
- Harms from finasteride chemoprevention
- Benefits and harms of other prevention interventions
- Incidence and mortality
- Risk factors for prostate cancer development
This lung health curriculum features lessons and a resource section designed with both the teacher and the student in mind. The lessons are specifically tailored for delivery to elementary school children in grades 3/4 and 5/6.
This educational guide is designed to help students:
- Develop a basic understanding of the lungs and asthma
- Learn ways that they can support classmates with asthma
- Develop a basic understanding of the lungs and the health effects of...
This toolkit from the Bright Futures for Women's Health and Wellness (BFWHW) Initiative is for women who want to improve the health of their communities. It provides guidance to plan, carry out, and evaluate a physical activity and/or healthy eating event. It also includes real-life stories from women who took action in their communities to get people moving and eating healthier.
This toolkit is divided into 10 Building Blocks—ideas and tools to help women plan a community activity:...
This fact sheet provides information to help teens with diabetes maintain a healthy weight.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Why is staying at a healthy weight good for kids?
- How can you get to a healthy weight?
- Be active almost every day
- Cut some calories
- Eat smaller portions
- Drink lots of water
- Ask your doctor to help you find a dietitian
- What are some healthy eating tips you can try?
The wallet card, part of the toolkit for coaches entitled Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports, helps high school sports coaches educate themselves, athletes, parents, and school officials about sports-related concussion.
The card includes:
- Signs and symptoms that may indicate a concussion has occurred
- Action plan if a concussion is suspected
This wallet card also allows users to record the phone numbers for the following:
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on preventing dental caries in preschool children.
Topics addressed include:
- What does the USPSTF recommend?
- What should primary clinicians know?
- What forms of fluoride may be used to prevent dental caries?
- What are the potential harms of fluoride supplementation?
- More information
This brochure is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work” campaign. It will educate parents about when antibiotics work–and when they won’t.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- The risk: Bacteria becomes resistant
- Antibiotics aren’t always the answer
- Protect your child, give the best care
- Commonly asked questions
These Community How To Guides address fundamental components of planning and implementing a comprehensive underage drinking prevention program. The guides are designed to be brief, easy to read, and easy to use.
Each guide contains a resource section to assist readers in obtaining additional and detailed information about the topics covered in that guide. The appendices include useful tools for each topic area to help communities jump-start their planning...
This consumer guide outlines how to prevent cold-related health problems and what to do if a cold-weather health emergency arises.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- What is extreme cold?
- Plan ahead
- Indoor safety tips
- Outdoor safety tips
- Cold-weather health emergencies