Prevention and wellness
This fact sheet provides information to help teens with diabetes maintain a healthy weight.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Why is staying at a healthy weight good for kids?
- How can you get to a healthy weight?
- Be active almost every day
- Cut some calories
- Eat smaller portions
- Drink lots of water
- Ask your doctor to help you find a dietitian
- What are some healthy eating tips you can try?
This guide, based on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations, was developed to assist clinicians with providing clinical preventive care to their patients.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preventive services recommended by the USPSTF
- Recommendations for adults
- Heart and vascular diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Injury and violence
- Mental health conditions...
The wallet card, part of the toolkit for coaches entitled Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports, helps high school sports coaches educate themselves, athletes, parents, and school officials about sports-related concussion.
The card includes:
- Signs and symptoms that may indicate a concussion has occurred
- Action plan if a concussion is suspected
This wallet card also allows users to record the phone numbers for the following:
This workbook provides information and guidance to women that can help them make a decision about whether hormone replacement therapy (HRT) would be a good choice for them.
The workbook should prepare patients to discuss HRT with their health care provider. Topics presented include:
- Personal health quizzes
- Coronary heart disease
- Breast cancer
- Putting it all together
- A guide to talking with...
This tool summarizes the key recommendations from the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005, which provide authoritative advice about how good dietary habits can promote health and reduce the risk for major chronic diseases in people 2 years and older.
This document addresses the following topics:
- Adequate nutrients within calorie needs
- Weight management
- Physical activity
- Food groups to encourage
The National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP) is a federally-sponsored initiative that involves public and private partners to improve the treatment and outcomes for people with diabetes, to promote early diagnosis, and to prevent the onset of diabetes. The NDEP’s objectives are to:
- Increase awareness of the seriousness of diabetes, its risk factors, and strategies for preventing diabetes and its complications among at-risk groups
- Improve understanding about diabetes and...
This Web site provides information about physical activity programs involving State departments of health. The site can be used to research programs, gather ideas, and share information.
This site includes the following sections:
- Search by State for ongoing programs involving State departments of health (choose to display inventory of programs or profile of State department of health)
- Search by keyword (search by program setting, target population, primary program...
This Web site offers Federally-developed interactive tools and other resources to help community organizations and partnerships in their efforts to support youth. Included are tools and resources to help form effective partnerships, assess community assets, understand risk factors and protective factors, generate maps of local and Federal resources, and search for evidence-based youth programs.
This guide provides information and insight to empower individuals and organizations to develop effective programming for future leaders in the patient safety movement. This publication can be used to develop and convene interactive, engaging workshops that involve patients, consumers, and a variety of practitioners and professionals from health care and other industries to drive change for patient safety through education, networking, and partnership.
The guide includes related...
This patient education guide provides information about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and important steps for better living for people diagnosed with the disease.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Living well with COPD
- What is COPD?
- Inside your lungs
- How COPD affects the body
- Causes of COPD
- Symptoms of COPD
- Making the diagnosis
- Important steps for better living with COPD