Prevention and wellness
This fact sheet addresses the assessment of overweight in children and provides recommendations for getting help.
This fact sheet includes the following sections:
- Overweight or not?
- Getting help losing weight
- What to expect at the doctor’s office
- Body mass index (BMI)-for-age example
- What to do when a child is overweight
- Spotting eating disorders
- Treating eating disorders
- Warning signs
- Moving toward a healthy...
This workbook provides information and guidance to women that can help them make a decision about whether hormone replacement therapy (HRT) would be a good choice for them.
The workbook should prepare patients to discuss HRT with their health care provider. Topics presented include:
- Personal health quizzes
- Coronary heart disease
- Breast cancer
- Putting it all together
- A guide to talking with...
This Web-based tool helps users organize family history information and then print it out for presentation to the family doctor. In addition, the tool helps users save their family history information to their own computer and even share family history information with other family members.
Additional site features include:
- Ability to view reports (family tree drawing, health history chart)
- Ability to add family (aunts, uncles, etc.)
- Ability to edit the...
This fact sheet provides recommendations for protecting children under 6 months against the flu.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Children at 6 months are at higher risk
- Advice for caregivers of children less than 2 years old
- Take time to get a vaccine
- Take everyday preventive steps
- Take antiviral drugs if your doctor says you need them
- Advice for caregivers who get the flu
- Remember how the...
This summary provides information to health care professionals on prostate cancer prevention.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Summary of evidence
- Benefits from finasteride chemoprevention
- Harms from finasteride chemoprevention
- Benefits and harms of other prevention interventions
- Incidence and mortality
- Risk factors for prostate cancer development
The National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP) is a federally-sponsored initiative that involves public and private partners to improve the treatment and outcomes for people with diabetes, to promote early diagnosis, and to prevent the onset of diabetes. The NDEP’s objectives are to:
- Increase awareness of the seriousness of diabetes, its risk factors, and strategies for preventing diabetes and its complications among at-risk groups
- Improve understanding about diabetes and...
This fact sheet provides information to help teens with diabetes maintain a healthy weight.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Why is staying at a healthy weight good for kids?
- How can you get to a healthy weight?
- Be active almost every day
- Cut some calories
- Eat smaller portions
- Drink lots of water
- Ask your doctor to help you find a dietitian
- What are some healthy eating tips you can try?
The wallet card, part of the toolkit for coaches entitled Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports, helps high school sports coaches educate themselves, athletes, parents, and school officials about sports-related concussion.
The card includes:
- Signs and symptoms that may indicate a concussion has occurred
- Action plan if a concussion is suspected
This wallet card also allows users to record the phone numbers for the following:
This lung health curriculum features lessons and a resource section designed with both the teacher and the student in mind. The lessons are specifically tailored for delivery to elementary school children in grades 3/4 and 5/6.
This educational guide is designed to help students:
- Develop a basic understanding of the lungs and asthma
- Learn ways that they can support classmates with asthma
- Develop a basic understanding of the lungs and the health effects of...
This toolkit from the Bright Futures for Women's Health and Wellness (BFWHW) Initiative is for women who want to improve the health of their communities. It provides guidance to plan, carry out, and evaluate a physical activity and/or healthy eating event. It also includes real-life stories from women who took action in their communities to get people moving and eating healthier.
This toolkit is divided into 10 Building Blocks—ideas and tools to help women plan a community activity:...