Prevention and wellness
This risk assessment tool uses information from the Framingham Heart Study to predict a person’s chance of having a heart attack in the next 10 years. This tool is designed for adults aged 20 and older who do not have heart disease or diabetes.
Patients may calculate their 10-year risk of having a heart attack by entering the following information into the tool:
- Total cholesterol
- High density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol
This guide, based on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations, was developed to assist clinicians with providing clinical preventive care to their patients.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preventive services recommended by the USPSTF
- Recommendations for adults
- Heart and vascular diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Injury and violence
- Mental health conditions...
This Web site provides information about physical activity programs involving State departments of health. The site can be used to research programs, gather ideas, and share information.
This site includes the following sections:
- Search by State for ongoing programs involving State departments of health (choose to display inventory of programs or profile of State department of health)
- Search by keyword (search by program setting, target population, primary program...
This Web site offers Federally-developed interactive tools and other resources to help community organizations and partnerships in their efforts to support youth. Included are tools and resources to help form effective partnerships, assess community assets, understand risk factors and protective factors, generate maps of local and Federal resources, and search for evidence-based youth programs.
This workbook provides information and guidance to women that can help them make a decision about whether hormone replacement therapy (HRT) would be a good choice for them.
The workbook should prepare patients to discuss HRT with their health care provider. Topics presented include:
- Personal health quizzes
- Coronary heart disease
- Breast cancer
- Putting it all together
- A guide to talking with...
This guide provides information and insight to empower individuals and organizations to develop effective programming for future leaders in the patient safety movement. This publication can be used to develop and convene interactive, engaging workshops that involve patients, consumers, and a variety of practitioners and professionals from health care and other industries to drive change for patient safety through education, networking, and partnership.
The guide includes related...
This tool provides key facts about hurricane preparedness and evacuation.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preparing for a hurricane
- Emergency supplies you will need
- Preparing to evacuate
- If you are ordered to evacuate
- If you are ordered NOT to evacuate
This fact sheet addresses the assessment of overweight in children and provides recommendations for getting help.
This fact sheet includes the following sections:
- Overweight or not?
- Getting help losing weight
- What to expect at the doctor’s office
- Body mass index (BMI)-for-age example
- What to do when a child is overweight
- Spotting eating disorders
- Treating eating disorders
- Warning signs
- Moving toward a healthy...
The National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP) is a federally-sponsored initiative that involves public and private partners to improve the treatment and outcomes for people with diabetes, to promote early diagnosis, and to prevent the onset of diabetes. The NDEP’s objectives are to:
- Increase awareness of the seriousness of diabetes, its risk factors, and strategies for preventing diabetes and its complications among at-risk groups
- Improve understanding about diabetes and...
This Web-based tool helps users organize family history information and then print it out for presentation to the family doctor. In addition, the tool helps users save their family history information to their own computer and even share family history information with other family members.
Additional site features include:
- Ability to view reports (family tree drawing, health history chart)
- Ability to add family (aunts, uncles, etc.)
- Ability to edit the...