Prevention and wellness
This fact sheet provides information to help patients with diabetes manage their condition and stay healthy. It provides a checklist of diabetes management and preventive health care strategies to be followed every day, at every visit to the doctor or nurse, and at other intervals.
This booklet is for patients who are facing surgery that is not an emergency. It provides some questions patients can ask their primary care doctor and surgeon before having surgery as well as the reasons for asking these questions. This tool addresses the following topics:
- Care about your health
- Get the basic facts
- Learn about the benefits and risks
- Learn how to get more information
- Find out more about your operation
- Make sure your surgery...
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on screening and behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce alcohol misuse.
Topics addressed include:
- What does the USPSTF recommend?
- What is alcohol misuse?
- How effective are screening and counseling for alcohol misuse in the primary care setting?
- What are effective screening and counseling interventions?
- How can...
The On-Time Quality Improvement for Long-Term Care program is designed to improve day-to-day practice in nursing homes, improve and redesign workflow, enrich work culture, and reduce pressure ulcers.
The program contains the following tools available for download:
- Frequently asked questions
- Case studies
- Sample weekly monitoring reports
- Process improvement discussion guide
- Quick tips for clinical reports
- Sample certified...
This summary provides patients with information on the prevention of colorectal cancer.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- What is prevention?
- General information about colorectal cancer
- Colorectal cancer prevention
- Risk factors
- Protective factors
- Clinical trials
This 11-page brochure for consumers addresses the harmful effects of drinking while taking certain medicines.
This brochure includes the following sections:
- Did you know
- Medicines may have many ingredients
- Some medicines contain alcohol
- Alcohol affects women differently
- Older people face greater risk
- Timing is important
- Commonly used medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter) that interact with alcohol ...
This tool allows you to calculate your body mass index (BMI), a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women.
The Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator allows you to enter your weight and height using Standard or Metric measures. Information is provided for assessing your risk for the health risks associated with overweight and obesity.
Improving Immunizations: Addressing Racial and Ethnic Populations includes several case studies on the leading health indicator of immunization for infectious diseases, with a special focus on reducing racial and ethnic disparities.
The primer provides background information, practical recommendations, and solutions to commonly encountered questions that physicians face from diverse patient populations, case presentations for improving health care delivery, and resources.
This guide, based on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations, was developed to assist clinicians with providing clinical preventive care to their patients.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preventive services recommended by the USPSTF
- Recommendations for adults
- Heart and vascular diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Injury and violence
- Mental health conditions...
This Web site provides information about physical activity programs involving State departments of health. The site can be used to research programs, gather ideas, and share information.
This site includes the following sections:
- Search by State for ongoing programs involving State departments of health (choose to display inventory of programs or profile of State department of health)
- Search by keyword (search by program setting, target population, primary program...