Prevention and wellness
This booklet is for patients who are facing surgery that is not an emergency. It provides some questions patients can ask their primary care doctor and surgeon before having surgery as well as the reasons for asking these questions. This tool addresses the following topics:
- Care about your health
- Get the basic facts
- Learn about the benefits and risks
- Learn how to get more information
- Find out more about your operation
- Make sure your surgery...
This tool allows you to calculate your body mass index (BMI), a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women.
The Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator allows you to enter your weight and height using Standard or Metric measures. Information is provided for assessing your risk for the health risks associated with overweight and obesity.
Improving Immunizations: Addressing Racial and Ethnic Populations includes several case studies on the leading health indicator of immunization for infectious diseases, with a special focus on reducing racial and ethnic disparities.
The primer provides background information, practical recommendations, and solutions to commonly encountered questions that physicians face from diverse patient populations, case presentations for improving health care delivery, and resources.
This summary provides patients with information on the prevention of colorectal cancer.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- What is prevention?
- General information about colorectal cancer
- Colorectal cancer prevention
- Risk factors
- Protective factors
- Clinical trials
This 11-page brochure for consumers addresses the harmful effects of drinking while taking certain medicines.
This brochure includes the following sections:
- Did you know
- Medicines may have many ingredients
- Some medicines contain alcohol
- Alcohol affects women differently
- Older people face greater risk
- Timing is important
- Commonly used medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter) that interact with alcohol ...
This Web site, hosted by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), provides information to consumers about health-related issues of current interest to the general public.
The Web site is categorized as follows:
- Medical devices
- Biologics, blood, and vaccines
- Animal and veterinary
- Radiation-emitting products
- Dietary supplements
- Seasonal topics
- Cross-cutting topics
- News from FDA
This tool provides immunization information relevant to American Indian and Alaska Native populations.
This tool discusses the following topics:
- Why immunize our children
- Vaccines can prevent these diseases
- Where immunizations are provided
- Vaccination coverage levels
- Links to brochure and posters
- Links to government sites
The Physical Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (PECAT) can assist personnel in State and regional education agencies, school districts, and schools to assess how closely their written curricula (locally developed or commercially prepared) align with national standards, guidelines, and best practices for high-quality physical education programs.
This tool includes the following sections:
- Preliminary curriculum considerations
The National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP) is a federally-sponsored initiative that involves public and private partners to improve the treatment and outcomes for people with diabetes, to promote early diagnosis, and to prevent the onset of diabetes. The NDEP’s objectives are to:
- Increase awareness of the seriousness of diabetes, its risk factors, and strategies for preventing diabetes and its complications among at-risk groups
- Improve understanding about diabetes and...
This tool provides key facts about hurricane preparedness and evacuation.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preparing for a hurricane
- Emergency supplies you will need
- Preparing to evacuate
- If you are ordered to evacuate
- If you are ordered NOT to evacuate