Prevention and wellness
This pamphlet provides information on how to reduce alcohol consumption. It addresses the following topics:
- How to cut down on your drinking
- Steps to help you cut down on your drinking
- Write your reasons for cutting down or stopping
- Set a drinking goal
- Keep a “diary” of your drinking
- Tips to help you cut down
This tool allows you to calculate your body mass index (BMI), a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women.
The Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator allows you to enter your weight and height using Standard or Metric measures. Information is provided for assessing your risk for the health risks associated with overweight and obesity.
Improving Immunizations: Addressing Racial and Ethnic Populations includes several case studies on the leading health indicator of immunization for infectious diseases, with a special focus on reducing racial and ethnic disparities.
The primer provides background information, practical recommendations, and solutions to commonly encountered questions that physicians face from diverse patient populations, case presentations for improving health care delivery, and resources.
This 66-page toolkit describes the experiences of 11 Medicaid managed care organizations in developing, pilot testing, and refining a Best Clinical and Administrative Practices (BCAP) initiative to improve early childhood screening and anticipatory guidance, with an emphasis on preventive pediatric care.
This toolkit addresses the following topics:
- Enhancing child development services in Medicaid managed care
- Enhancing child development services using the BCAP...
This fact sheet addresses overweight in children and provides recommendations on its prevention.
This fact sheet includes the following sections:
- Is this generation of youth really more overweight than previous generations?
- How does being overweight affect a child’s health?
- 10 serious health threats for overweight youth
- How do you determine if a child is overweight?
- Should an overweight child go on a diet?
- Why are more children today...
This pamphlet addresses six common misconceptions that appear in literature about vaccination, along with explanations of why they are misconceptions.
The following six misconceptions are presented and discussed:
- Diseases had already begun to disappear before vaccines were introduced, because of better hygiene and sanitation.
- The majority of people who get a disease have been vaccinated.
- There are “hot lots” of vaccine that have been associated with more...
This Web site, hosted by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), provides information to consumers about health-related issues of current interest to the general public.
The Web site is categorized as follows:
- Medical devices
- Biologics, blood, and vaccines
- Animal and veterinary
- Radiation-emitting products
- Dietary supplements
- Seasonal topics
- Cross-cutting topics
- News from FDA
The goal of this 87-page curriculum is to help health professionals and others who work with college students to identify and treat students who are at risk for or have alcohol-related problems. The methods presented are based on science and clinical experience and have been tested and used in a variety of settings. The protocols were specifically designed for busy, high-volume practices.
The curriculum is divided into the following teaching modules:
- Epidemiology and...
This tool suggests activities to help children, following exposure to a disaster or traumatic event, share recovery feelings and experiences at home.
This tool presents at-home interventions for parents to engage in with their children. Interventions are provided for children in the following age groups:
- Elementary age children
- Preadolescents and adolescents
The National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP) is a federally-sponsored initiative that involves public and private partners to improve the treatment and outcomes for people with diabetes, to promote early diagnosis, and to prevent the onset of diabetes. The NDEP’s objectives are to:
- Increase awareness of the seriousness of diabetes, its risk factors, and strategies for preventing diabetes and its complications among at-risk groups
- Improve understanding about diabetes and...