This three-page guideline summary is a 2006 update of the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO) recommendations for the use of antiemetics in oncology.
This guideline summary addresses the following topics:
- Chemotherapy-induced emesis
- Radiation-induced emesis
Three tables summarize the following topics:
- Antiemetic agents and regimens, emetic risk categories, special emetic problems, and radiation-induced emesis
- Emetic risk of...
This tool provides patients with information on how well the hospitals in their area care for all their adult patients with certain medical conditions, such as heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, or surgical infection prevention. This information helps the patient, the health care provider, family, and friends compare the quality of care provided in the acute-care hospitals (general hospitals) and critical access hospitals (small, remote hospitals) that agree to submit data on the...
This 186-page chartbook is based on a broad review of recently published studies and reports, conducted to present a coherent picture of the quality of health care for elderly Medicare beneficiaries living in the community. The results are presented in 60 charts.
The topics in this chartbook are presented as follows:
- Summary and highlights
- Overview: Progress, gaps, and variations
- Challenges in measuring quality for the elderly population...
This Web site is an online journal and forum on patient safety and health care quality.
The tool includes the following features:
- Expert analysis of medical error reports submitted anonymously by Web site users, in the following clinical areas and specialties:
- Clinical ethics
- Critical care
- Emergency medicine
- Family medicine
- Hospital medicine
- Laboratory medicine
This 200-page resource manual outlines a systems approach to medication management in long-term care. It is designed to provide nursing home staff with a step-by-step guide through the key processes of a comprehensive medication management system and address areas that can lead to the reduction of medication errors. In addition, tools are offered as strategies to reduce the incidence and harm of errors.
The topics addressed in this manual include the following:...
A safety checklist program can help administrators, coordinators, and teachers bring their schools into compliance with Federal or State Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations. This information can also be used by colleges and universities with occupational safety and health programs. The checklists in this guide are based primarily on the regulations and standards of OSHA, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and other Federal agencies.
This Microsoft ® Excel spreadsheet can be used to calculate the use of hand-sterilizing alcohol per 100 patient days as a means to evaluate and improve hand hygiene practices. The spreadsheet collects data on the use of wall-mounted and pocket-sized, alcohol-based hand rubs.
This spreadsheet allows users to collect the following information:
- Number of large cans or bottles used throughout unit
- Grams per large can or bottle used throughout unit...
This pamphlet will help patients understand what will happen before they undergo surgery.
This pamphlet describes what patients can expect during the following time frames:
- Days to a couple of hours before the surgery
- An hour, or less, before the surgery
- Just before surgery begins
This Web site enables users to find and compare information about the services and quality of care provided at dialysis facilities in any State. It also provides a wide range of other information to help patients, their families, and providers learn more about chronic kidney disease and dialysis.
The Web site includes the following sections:
- How to use Dialysis Facility Compare
- Patient tools
- What to ask dialysis care providers
- What to ask...
This resource guide provides tools to assist health care facilities in implementing a patient safety program.
This toolkit includes the following program tools, all of which may be customized as needed:
- Generic safety plan: template
- Comprehensive medical safety program
- Quality and safety officer job description: template
- Organized assignments for accompanying patient safety plan or program
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management:...