This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on routine vitamin supplementation to prevent cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Topics addressed include:
- What does the USPSTF recommend?
- What does the evidence indicate?
- Should people take vitamin supplements?
- What are the potential harms of vitamin supplements?
- More information
Medical errors can occur at many points in the health care system, particularly in hospitals. This 2-page fact sheet provides the following 10 tips that hospitals can implement to improve patient safety:
- Assess and improve patient safety culture (by surveying unit staff)
- Build teamwork (by improving staff communication)
- Limit shifts for hospital staff, if possible
- Insert chest tubes safely
- Prevent central line-related bloodstream infections...
This summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of breast cancer and pregnancy.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- Stage information
- Treatment option overview
- Other considerations for pregnancy and breast cancer
- Fetal consequences of maternal breast cancer
- Consequences of pregnancy in patients with a history...
Choosing Pain Medicine For Osteoarthritis is a guide to help consumers work with their doctors or nurses to choose pain-relief medicine for osteoarthritis. It provides information on the risks and benefits of over-the-counter (OTC) medications and prescription (Rx) drugs used for treatment. It also includes charts to compare the prices of different prescription and over-the-counter medications.
This educational module addresses preventable adverse drug reactions (ADRs). It was developed based on a needs survey sent to all third-year medicine clerkship directors and all medicine residency program directors in the United States.
This module contains the following components:
- Slide presentation
- Sample case
- ADR prevalence and incidence
- Types of drug interactions
- Drug metabolism
- ADR reporting
- Preventing drug...
This Web site, hosted by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), provides information to consumers about health-related issues of current interest to the general public.
The Web site is categorized as follows:
- Medical devices
- Biologics, blood, and vaccines
- Animal and veterinary
- Radiation-emitting products
- Dietary supplements
- Seasonal topics
- Cross-cutting topics
- News from FDA
This five-page guide for older adults provides information on how to avoid medication and alcohol misuse.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Take steps on your own
- Signals that may indicate an alcohol- or medication-related problem
- Talk to someone you trust
- Share the right information with your health care professional
- List your prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as your dietary supplements and herbal preparations...
This brochure for women provides recommendations for taking medicines wisely.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Read the label
- Avoid problems
- Ask questions
- Keep a record of medicines you use
- List your prescription medicines
This report explores the topic of effective individual risk management in community-based services among States engaged in risk planning for Medicaid home- and community-based services (HCBS) waiver participants. Administrators from 11 State operating agencies, representing a range of waiver types and geographic areas, were interviewed for this report. These agencies served at least one of four waiver populations (the elderly, people with physical disabilities, people with mental retardation...
Medicines In My Home is an interactive educational program about the safe and effective use of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines. It includes materials geared to both students and adults.
This Web site is divided into four sections:
- Teachers’ room
- Course description and objectives
- Teachers’ kit
- Classroom lesson materials
- Medicines in my home: Information for students on using OTC medicines safely
- Classroom lesson on safe OTC...
- Classroom lesson materials