This is a summary of the American Academy of Neurology and Child Neurology Society guideline on screening and diagnosis for autism. This practice parameter reviews the available empirical evidence and gives specific recommendations for the identification of children with autism.
This summary addresses the following:
- Routine developmental surveillance and screening specifically for autism
- Diagnosis and evaluation of autism
This slideshow summarizes the guideline recommendations developed by the American Society of Clinical Oncology on the use of sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB) in early-stage breast cancer.
This slideshow addresses the following topics:
- Guideline methodology
- Guideline questions
- Can full axillary lymph node dissection be avoided in patients with negative findings on SNB?
- Is full axillary lymph node dissection necessary for all patients...
This educational guide provides patients with information about the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s Recommendations on Fertility Preservation in People Treated for Cancer. Providers may be able to use this guide to educate cancer patients about fertility preservation.
This guide is organized into the following sections:
- Cancer treatment and fertility
- Options for preserving fertility before cancer treatment
- For women
- For men ...
This treatment algorithm for the initial hormonal management of androgen-sensitive advanced cancer is derived from the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s recommendations on hormone therapy for advanced prostate cancer.
This one-page tool provides recommendations in the following areas:
- Discuss treatment options and early vs. late androgen ablation with patients
- Bilateral orchiectomy
- Luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) agonists...
This tool is intended for health care professionals, students, and ancillary personnel who have minimal experience working with homeless patients.
Recognizing that standard clinical practice guidelines often fail to take into consideration the unique health care challenges faced by displaced people, the Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians’ Network convened an advisory committee comprised of six health and social service providers to develop standards for the...
This tool, developed by the American Academy of Neurology, provides guidelines that summarize the best research on recognizing, diagnosing, and providing treatment options for people with Alzheimer’s disease and their families.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- How can you recognize Alzheimer’s disease?
- How does a doctor diagnose Alzheimer’s disease?
- What are the treatment and care options available today?
- Where can you find more resources?...
This algorithm is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline Management of Diabetes Mellitus, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense. By clicking on the individual steps in this interactive algorithm, the user can access the more detailed information in the Module M summary and related modules.
This algorithm includes the following steps:
- Is this a patient with newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus?
This tool is designed to help clinicians implement the National Cholesterol Education Program’s clinical guidelines for cholesterol testing and management. Based on the Third Report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel or ATP III), the Quick Desk Reference outlines cholesterol management in a sequence of easy-to-follow steps. Steps include:
- Step 1: Determine lipoprotein levels: obtain complete...
This slideshow summarizes the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO’s) guidelines for the surveillance of patients following treatment for stage II or III colorectal cancer.
This slideshow presents information in the following categories:
- Benefits from the resection of metastatic colorectal cancer
- Guideline methodology
- 2005 categories of recommendations for colorectal cancer surveillance
- History and physical and risk...
This tool summarizes the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO) 2005 practice guideline update for followup after primary therapy for stage II or III colorectal cancer.
This guideline summary addresses the following topics:
- Updated 2005 recommendations
- Imaging procedures
- Endoscopic surveillance techniques
- History and physical examination and risk assessment
- Laboratory tests