The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC) is an information dissemination service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). NDDIC was established to increase knowledge and understanding about digestive diseases among people with these conditions and their families, health care professionals, and the general public. To carry out this mission, NDDIC works closely with a coordinating panel of representatives from Federal agencies,...
This six-page fact sheet, part of the Stay in Circulation national awareness campaign, answers key questions about peripheral arterial disease (P.A.D.) in African Americans and provides steps patients can take to reduce their risk.
This tool provides the following information:
- What is P.A.D.?
- What causes P.A.D.?
- What are the signs and symptoms of P.A.D.?
- How is P.A.D. diagnosed?
- Medical and family history
- Physical exam
This brochure for people with diabetes addresses the importance of blood sugar control and describes two tests that determine blood sugar level.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Keeping your blood sugar in control will help you in many ways
- Two important tests tell you if your blood sugar is at a healthy level:
- HbA1C or A1C
- The finger-stick test
- What to ask your doctor, nurse, or dietitian
- What to check when you...
This fact sheet addresses fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD) and the importance of early diagnosis.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- What are fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD)?
- How can I recognize FASD?
- Why is diagnosis important?
- How is FASD detected?
- Where can I go for a diagnosis?
- How do I prepare for an assessment?
- What do I do with the results?
The National Breast Cancer Foundation’s mission is to save lives by increasing awareness of breast cancer through education and by providing mammograms for those in need.
Web site topics/features include:
- Beyond the shock - A step by step guide to understanding the diagnosis of breast cancer
- Library - Tools and resources to learn about breast cancer
- Signs and symptoms
This fact sheet provides answers to frequently asked questions about gonorrhea. It addresses the following topics:
- What is gonorrhea?
- How do you get gonorrhea?
- Who is at risk for gonorrhea?
- What are the symptoms of gonorrhea?
- Are there tests for gonorrhea?
- How is gonorrhea treated?
- What happens if gonorrhea isn’t treated?
- Can gonorrhea cause problems during pregnancy?
- How can I keep from getting gonorrhea?
This one-page flow sheet assists providers in scheduling followup care for patients with colon cancer. It enables providers to record the following information:
- Date of diagnosis
- Dates and values of carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) testing
- Target dates for counseling visits, computed tomography (CT) scans, and colonoscopy
This algorithm for psychoses and schizophrenia treatment is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Psychoses, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (VA/DoD). It is intended to provide a systematic approach to the evaluation and management of patients with psychoses/schizophrenia.
The tool addresses the following:
- Strategies for treatment
- Followup and monitoring
- Use of...
This 18-page booklet provides concise, disease-specific nutrition information for physicians caring for older adults with the following conditions:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary heart disease
- Diabetes mellitus
The guide provides nutritional screening parameters, treatment options, and outcome measures for...
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of childhood non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Information about the following is included in this summary:
- Cellular classification
- Clinical presentation
- Stage information
- Treatment options