This tool is a summary of the American Academy of Neurology’s guideline evaluating whether magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can predict probable conversion to clinically definite multiple sclerosis (MS) in patients presenting with a syndrome consistent with inflammatory demyelination.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- Evidence for using MRI for early diagnosis of MS
- Diagnostic considerations in patients with suspected MS and/or MRI white matter...
The National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC) is an information dissemination service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). NKUDIC was established to increase knowledge and understanding about diseases of the kidneys and urologic system among people with these conditions and their families, health care professionals, and the general public. To carry out this mission, NKUDIC works closely with a coordinating panel of...
The Behavioral Health Treatment Facility Locator is a searchable database of more than 11,000 programs around the country that treat alcoholism, alcohol abuse, and drug abuse problems. The locator includes outpatient treatment programs, residential treatment programs, hospital inpatient programs, and partial hospitalization/day treatment programs.
This database includes the following search features:
- Quick search: Finds the substance abuse treatment facilities closest to the...
This Web site presents information about the prevention, detection, treatment, and care of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). It is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Prevention Information Network (NPIN), which is the U.S. reference, referral, and distribution service for information on HIV/AIDS, STDs, and tuberculosis (TB). NPIN produces, collects, catalogs, and disseminates materials and information on STDs to organizations and people working in those...
This fact sheet presents patient information on sickle cell anemia.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- What is sickle cell anemia?
- Other names for sickle cell anemia
- What causes sickle cell anemia?
- Who is at risk for sickle cell anemia?
- What are the signs and symptoms of sickle cell anemia?
- How is sickle cell anemia diagnosed?
- How is sickle cell anemia treated?
- How can sickle cell anemia be prevented? ...
This multicomponent toolkit provides materials to facilitate the implementation of assertive community treatment (ACT) by mental health consumers, families and other supporters, practitioners and clinical supervisors, mental health program leaders, and public mental health authorities. ACT is a team-based approach to delivering comprehensive and flexible treatment, support, and services to help people stay out of the hospital and develop skills for living in the community. ACT offers...
This brochure for people with diabetes addresses the importance of blood sugar control and describes two tests that determine blood sugar level.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Keeping your blood sugar in control will help you in many ways
- Two important tests tell you if your blood sugar is at a healthy level:
- HbA1C or A1C
- The finger-stick test
- What to ask your doctor, nurse, or dietitian
- What to check when you...
The National Breast Cancer Foundation’s mission is to save lives by increasing awareness of breast cancer through education and by providing mammograms for those in need.
Web site topics/features include:
- Beyond the shock - A step by step guide to understanding the diagnosis of breast cancer
- Library - Tools and resources to learn about breast cancer
- Signs and symptoms
This one-page flow sheet assists providers in scheduling followup care for patients with colon cancer. It enables providers to record the following information:
- Date of diagnosis
- Dates and values of carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) testing
- Target dates for counseling visits, computed tomography (CT) scans, and colonoscopy
This 18-page booklet provides concise, disease-specific nutrition information for physicians caring for older adults with the following conditions:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary heart disease
- Diabetes mellitus
The guide provides nutritional screening parameters, treatment options, and outcome measures for...