This booklet has been created to help patients and their families through the process of organ transplantation and to provide the information needed to make knowledgeable health care decisions.
This booklet addresses the following topics:
- Preparing for your transplant
- The transplant process
- Living donation
- Developing a financial strategy
- Life after transplant
- Promoting organ and tissue donation
This 68-page guide is designed to help consumers find and compare nursing homes. It can help families make the best choice when planning ahead or when they need to make an unexpected decision.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Important information if you have Medicare
- For readers who are helping another person choose a nursing home
- How to use this booklet
- Who can help answer questions?
- Choosing the type of...
This is a summary of the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) and Child Neurology Society’s (CNS) evidence-based guideline reviewing all available evidence on the assessment of the child with status epilepticus.
The guideline summary includes recommendations for determining the cause of status epilepticus in children including:
- Assessment of laboratory studies
- Assessment of metabolic and genetic testing
- Assessment of electroencephalography
This planning tool helps hospitals predict the pattern of casualty severity and their capacity to provide care after a mass casualty event.
This tool includes the following sections:
- Predicting triage severity
- Predicting hospital capacity to care for critical casualties
- Predicting hospital capacity to care for noncritical casualties
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of adult acute myeloid leukemia (AML).
This tool is organized into the following sections:
- General information about AML
- AML with characteristic genetic abnormalities
- AML with an FLT3 mutation
- AML with multilineage dysplasia
- Therapy-related AMLs and...
The SBAR (Situation-Background-Assessment-Recommendation) technique and tools provide a framework for communication between members of the health care team about a patient’s condition. SBAR is an easy-to-remember, concrete mechanism for framing any conversation requiring a clinician’s immediate attention and action. Free registration and login are required to download the tool.
This tool includes two components:
- SBAR report to physician about a critical situation:...
This pocket guide is condensed from Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician’s Guide, a 30-page guide prepared by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) . It is organized into the following sections, using flowchart or tabular format:
- How to screen for heavy drinking
- How to assess for alcohol use disorders
- How to conduct a brief intervention (for at-risk drinking and for alcohol use disorders)
- What’s a...
The Asthma Action Plan is a one-page form that the doctor and patient can complete together. It provides information and instructions for patients’ self-management of asthma and includes space for the doctor to fill in directions for medication, peak flow numbers, asthma triggers, and what to do in case of an asthma attack or an emergency.
The Health Insurer Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist identifies important, targeted activities health insurers can do now to prepare for a pandemic. This checklist is organized according to business-related, employee-related, and communications-related activities.
The checklist is divided into the following sections:
- Plan for the impact of an influenza pandemic on your business.
- Plan for the impact of an influenza pandemic on your employees and establish...
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
The summary includes the following information:
- Incidence and risk factors
- Cellular classification
- Prognostic variables
- Treatment options
- Treatment considerations for certain ALL childhood subgroups