This leadership guide is an informational and organizational tool to support the Remaking American Medicine campaign, a grassroots initiative to mobilize the public in demanding and supporting sweeping change throughout the American health system.
This guide includes the following:
- Overview: A system in need of critical care
- How to use the Leadership Guide
- Remaking American Medicine (four-part film series)
- National outreach campaign...
Smokefree.gov provides information and professional assistance to support those who want to quit smoking.
The Web site allows users to choose the help that best fits their needs. Available assistance includes:
- An online step-by-step cessation guide
- Local and State telephone quitlines
- National Cancer Institute (NCI’s) national telephone quitline
- NCI’s instant messaging service
- Publications, which may be downloaded, printed, or ordered ...
This toolkit details the experiences of a workgroup of Medicaid managed care organizations that collaborated to develop new ways of identifying members of racial and ethnic subgroups, to measure gaps in care and to explore ways to improve health care quality. The workgroup members designed innovative strategies to uncover and address disparities in three targeted areas: birth outcomes and immunizations, asthma care, and diabetes care.The toolkit includes the following sections:
This patient education guide provides information about the next steps after a pulmonary nodule has been detected.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Your lungs
- What is a pulmonary nodule?
- Who are all these doctors?
- Finding out if the nodule might be cancer
- Biopsy of the nodule
- What does this mean for me?
- What if I can’t have or don’t want to have surgery?
- Should I consider a clinical study?
- Planning for...
This booklet can help parents and caregivers learn more about milk and calcium so they can help their children and teenagers grow into strong, healthy adults.
This booklet is part of Milk Matters, a public health education campaign to promote calcium consumption among tweens and teens, especially during the ages of 11 to 15, a time of critical bone growth.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Growing needs for milk
- Who needs the most calcium?...
This fact sheet addresses planning healthy meals and provides tips for making healthy food choices.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Are home cooked meals healthier than eating out?
- Is there an easy system for planning healthy meals?
- Menu map
- How to use your menu map
- Good ideas for healthy meals
- Tips for making healthy food choices when eating out
This guide provides information to people with HIV infection about how to prevent infection from a pet. This information is also available in Spanish.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- Should I keep my pets?
- What kinds of infections could I get from an animal?
- What can I do to protect myself from infections spread by animals?
- I have a job that involves working with animals. Should I quit?
- Can someone with HIV give it to their pets...
This 62-page guide was developed to help a wide range of groups and communities move from concerns about alcohol, tobacco, and illicit drug abuse to proven and practical solutions. It offers brief, practical, and easy-to-read information that is useful in planning and delivering prevention strategies.
Each two-page topic summary tells why the step is important and what it includes; provides tips on key tasks, choices, and pointers; and includes a highlight box with added advice or...
This guide contains information, ideas, and strategies that people from all over the country have found to be helpful in relieving and preventing troubling feelings and symptoms related to a traumatic experience. The information in this booklet can be used safely along with your other health care treatment.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Help from health care providers, counselors and groups
- Things you can do every day to help yourself feel better ...
This guide provides information about eating fish to women who are or may become pregnant, or are nursing.
This tool presents the following information:
- Fish not to eat
- Fish to eat (up to 1 serving [6 ounces] per week)
- Fish to eat (Up to 2 servings [12 ounces] per week)
- Checking before eating fish caught in local waters
- Eating a variety of small, young, non-fatty fish