Effective treatment for obesity is based on skillful and empathetic communication between practitioners and patients. This quick-reference card is part of a package for starting an effective weight management program in an office or clinic. It includes:
- Tips on how to discuss weight issues with patients
- Guide to determine patient’s health risks
This booklet has been created to help patients and their families through the process of organ transplantation and to provide the information needed to make knowledgeable health care decisions.
This booklet addresses the following topics:
- Preparing for your transplant
- The transplant process
- Living donation
- Developing a financial strategy
- Life after transplant
- Promoting organ and tissue donation
This 68-page guide is designed to help consumers find and compare nursing homes. It can help families make the best choice when planning ahead or when they need to make an unexpected decision.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Important information if you have Medicare
- For readers who are helping another person choose a nursing home
- How to use this booklet
- Who can help answer questions?
- Choosing the type of...
This 106-page guide from the American Cancer Society provides detailed information about breast cancer, including information on risk factors, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- What is cancer?
- What is breast cancer?
- Normal breast structure
- Benign breast lumps
- Breast cancer general terms
- Types of breast cancers
- What are the key statistics about breast cancer?...
This Confusion Assessment Method (CAM) training manual has been designed to assist with the administration and coding of the CAM, and to provide supplementary information for interested clinical investigators.
The CAM improves the identification and recognition of delirium in geriatric patients. CAM enables non-psychiatrically trained clinicians to identify delirium quickly and accurately in both clinical and research settings on the basis of an interview with the patient that...
This 36-page guidebook, part of the You Can! Steps to Healthier Aging Campaign, will help community organizations increase the number of older people who stay active and healthy by implementing a simple 12-week nutrition and walking program.
The guidebook addresses the following topics:
- Setting up your program
- Week 1:
- Eat better for health
- Orientation and enrollment
- Week 2:
- Move more for health
- Orientation to step...
This book is a guide patients can refer to throughout chemotherapy treatment. It includes facts about chemotherapy and its side effects and also highlights ways patients can care for themselves before, during, and after treatment.
This patient guide addresses the following topics:
- Questions and answers about chemotherapy
- Tips for meeting with your doctor or nurse
- Your feelings during chemotherapy
- Side effects and ways to manage them
- Foods to...
This cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of intraocular (eye) melanoma.
Information about the following is included in this summary:
- Prognostic factors
- Cellular classification
- Treatment options by cancer stage
This summary provides patients with information on treatment options for rectal cancer.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- General information about rectal cancer
- Stages of rectal cancer
- Recurrent rectal cancer
- Treatment option overview
- Treatment options by stage
- Stage 0 (carcinoma in situ)
- Stage I rectal cancer
- Stage II rectal cancer
- Stage III rectal cancer
- Stage IV...
This guide is designed to help women understand changes that occur in their breasts.
This guide includes the following information:
- About your breasts
- Types of breast changes
- Finding breast changes
- Breast changes during your lifetime that are not cancer
- Getting a second opinion
- Followup tests to tell you more
- Finding the support you need
- For more information
- Chart 1: Possible mammogram results and followup care...