Health literacy is the ability to obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate health decisions and follow instructions for treatment.
This kit for clinicians includes a clinician’s guide and videos.
The guide, “Health literacy and patient safety: Help patients understand” includes the following:
- Health literacy
- National Assessment of Adult Literacy
- Population groups at risk...
American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) convened an expert panel to review and update evidence-based strategies for breast cancer followup and management in asymptomatic patients following primary, curative therapy. The panel observed the 1996 outcomes criteria that justify the use of a drug or technology in the guideline development process. Therapy was recommended when compelling positive effects to survival, quality of life, and/or cost-effectiveness was demonstrated.
This Web site provides consumer-oriented brochures on hepatitis A, B, and C in a variety of languages.
This site includes the following brochures:
- Prevent hepatitis A
- Viral hepatitis integration for HIV prevention community planners brochure
- Protect your baby for life from hepatitis B
- Hepatitis B and you
- Living with chronic hepatitis B
- Prevent hepatitis B
- What every injection drug user should know
- Hepatitis C…...
This tool offers general advice to help patients learn more about their medical problem and how it can be treated. A video Web program based on the booklet tells viewers what experts have to say about coming to grips with illness.
The 28-page booklet addresses the following topics:
- Step 1: Take the time you need
- Step 2: Get the support you need
- Step 3: Talk with your doctor
- Step 4: Seek out information
- Step 5: Decide on a treatment...
The Hepatitis C Education Class toolkit is intended to provide clinicians with a how-to guide and various resources for conducting a patient education class on hepatitis C.
This toolkit contains a course guide, slide set and script, and slideshow with audio.
The slide set and script are designed for health providers to use with their patients who have hepatitis C infection or who tested positive for hepatitis C at some time in the past. The class runs about an hour and...
This Web site is an online journal and forum on patient safety and health care quality.
The tool includes the following features:
- Expert analysis of medical error reports submitted anonymously by Web site users, in the following clinical areas and specialties:
- Clinical ethics
- Critical care
- Emergency medicine
- Family medicine
- Hospital medicine
- Laboratory medicine
This Web site is part of a campaign to increase awareness of the need to act quickly when someone may be having a heart attack. The campaign urges physicians to educate patients about heart attack risk, warning signs, and survival and offers educational materials for the public and health care professionals. The Web site includes information based on material developed by the Rapid Early Action for Coronary Treatment (REACT) research program.
This tool addresses the following...
This 5-minute video includes an overview of health care disparities and some strategies for physicians to reduce them within their own practices.
This tool address various aspects of the issues surrounding disparities within health care, including:
- Definition of health care disparities
- Examples of health care disparities
- Cardiac care
- Sources of health care disparities
- The health care system
- The health care system
This video addresses the controversy about whether or not a signature on a consent form accurately represents a patient’s understanding.
This 5-minute video addresses various aspects of the issue of informed consent, such as:
- Informed consent versus uninformed consent
- Case example: Uninformed consent
- Uninformed consent: Legal considerations
- Universal safe communication practices
- Techniques to help patients understand consent
This resource kit is designed to help communities implement a well-defined approach to helping people with mental illnesses find and keep competitive employment within their communities. It includes information targeted to consumers, families, practitioners, mental health program leaders, and public mental health authorities.
The resource kit includes the following materials:
- User’s guide
- Project philosophy and values...