Try This is a series of assessment tools where each issue focuses on a topic specific to the older adult population. The content is directed to orient and encourage all nurses to understand the special needs of older adults and to utilize the highest standards of practice in caring for the elderly. Each “Try This” issue is a two-page document with a description of why the topic is important when caring for older patients on the first page, and an assessment tool that can be administered in...
This guide serves as a resource for those wanting to undertake quality improvement initiatives to improve culturally and linguistically appropriate services and to reduce disparities in care. It is intended for health care organizations such as managed care plans, large group practices, hospitals, public health agencies, disease management organizations, community health centers, and other institutions that provide and/or arrange for care of diverse patients.
The guide is...
This Web site includes downloadable presentations from a Society of Public Health Education (SOPHE)-sponsored summit where participants sought to develop a transdisciplinary health education research agenda for eliminating racial and ethnic health disparities by focusing on health behavior dissemination, research, and implementation.
Topics of the presentations include:
- Eliminating racial and ethnic health disparities: synthesis of the problem
This Web site provides health literacy tools, Government resources, research, and reports to help improve materials so individuals can better obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services to make appropriate health decisions.
- Sample action plan to improve health literacy
- Quick guide to health literacy
- Quick guide to health literacy and older adults
- Toolkit for trainers: Teaching older adults how to...
Best Practice Intervention Packages (BPIP) were designed for use by any home health agency to support efforts to reduce avoidable acute care hospitalizations. Any home care clinician can use the free educational materials. The topic of this package is falls prevention. It includes the following:
- Intervention package
- Leadership track
- Nurse track
- Therapist track
- Medical social worker track
- Home health aide
- Examples of excellence ...
These medication-related safety videos from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are provided in cooperation with the Institute for Safe Medication Practices. The videos are accompanied by written explanations and safety alerts from FDA. New titles are added periodically.
Recent topics include:
- Rare side effect of codeine in nursing mothers
- Avoiding dangerous mixups between amphotericin B formulations
These slide presentations and other related tools can assist hospitals, pharmacists, and emergency departments in their efforts to describe, justify, and implement new emergency pharmacist programs.
The slide presentations, which are accompanied by associated tools, include the following sections:
- Provides a review of the literature that helps justify the need for an emergency pharmacist program
- Role of the emergency pharmacist
Down syndrome is a genetic condition that affects physical and intellectual development. This slideshow presents the following topics related to Down syndrome.
- What is Down syndrome?
- The three types of Down syndrome
- How a diagnoses is made
- Additional health issues faced by patients with Down syndrome
- Issues related to learning and development
- Pre-natal screening/diagnosis of Down syndrome
This toolkit focuses on two interventions to improve critical care—reduction of catheter-related bloodstream infections and ventilator-associated pneumonia.
The toolkit includes:
- Prevention of catheter-related bloodstream infections
- Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia - part 1
- Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia - part 2
- Sedation and delirium: monitoring and management
- Prevention of ventilator-associated...
This Web site includes video interviews of experts in different areas of functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorders reviewing recent developments in the GI field.
The site includes videos on the following topics:
- Diet, eating, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Treatment advances and needs for kids and teens
- Overcoming labels in IBS and approaching treatment
- Making the diagnosis and understanding the burden of the illness
- Is there a role for...