Medical errors can occur at many points in the health care system, particularly in hospitals. This 2-page fact sheet provides the following 10 tips that hospitals can implement to improve patient safety:
- Assess and improve patient safety culture (by surveying unit staff)
- Build teamwork (by improving staff communication)
- Limit shifts for hospital staff, if possible
- Insert chest tubes safely
- Prevent central line-related bloodstream infections...
This fact sheet addresses the assessment of overweight in children and provides recommendations for getting help.
This fact sheet includes the following sections:
- Overweight or not?
- Getting help losing weight
- What to expect at the doctor’s office
- Body mass index (BMI)-for-age example
- What to do when a child is overweight
- Spotting eating disorders
- Treating eating disorders
- Warning signs
- Moving toward a healthy...
This Web site contains concepts, tips, and tools for evaluating the quality of health care for children. This online resource can help to answer the following (and related) questions about measuring health care quality in child health programs:
- How can you tell whether children are receiving quality health care?
- How do you know when a health program is functioning effectively?
- Where can you find tools to help answer these questions?
- If the right tool is not...
This guide for people with HIV infection provides information about the prevention and treatment of toxoplasmosis (toxo). This tool is also available in Spanish.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- What is toxo?
- What are the symptoms of toxo-related illness?
- How is toxo spread (or transmitted)?
- How can I protect myself from toxo infection?
- What happens when someone with HIV has toxo infection?
- What should I do to prevent an...
This fact sheet provides general information for children with diabetes about their disease.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- What is diabetes?
- What types of diabetes do kids get?
- How do you manage diabetes?
- Why do you get type 2 diabetes?
- Why do you need to take care of your diabetes?
This tool provides answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and sexually transmitted disease (STD) testing.
It addresses the following questions:
- What is HIV and should I be tested?
- What is viral hepatitis and should I be tested?
- What are sexually transmitted diseases and should I be tested?
- What puts me at risk for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, and STDs?
This cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of intraocular (eye) melanoma.
Information about the following is included in this summary:
- Prognostic factors
- Cellular classification
- Treatment options by cancer stage
This fact sheet outlines some conditions to be considered when providing health care to evacuees. Conditions are organized according to presenting symptoms and also alphabetically.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Presenting symptoms
- Altered mental status/central nervous system syndromes
- Fever with poorly localized signs
- Diarrheal illness
- Skin and soft tissue lesions and...
This fact sheet can be used by health care providers to educate patients who are lactose intolerant about how they can get enough calcium each day.
This fact sheet is part of Milk Matters, a public health education campaign to promote calcium consumption among tweens and teens, especially during the ages of 11 to 15, a time of critical bone growth.
This fact sheet answers the following questions:
- Are there different types of lactose intolerance?
This report examines questionnaires, surveys, and other instruments currently used to assess the services and quality of care in assisted living facilities across the United States including consumer-reported instruments, expert observational instruments, and provider-reported tools that evaluate services offered, the physical and cultural environments, staff issues, activities, social support, and contractual issues.
The report includes the following sections: