This consumer toolkit educates refugees and immigrants on how to become proactive health consumers and promoters in their communities. The materials help patients and health care–related professionals reduce the health disparities among refugees and immigrants.
Toolkits are available in the following languages: Amharic, Arabic, Bosnian, Burmese, English, Farsi (Persian), French, Haitian Creole, Hmong, Karen, Kirundi, Nepali, Oromo, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Tigrinian,...
This Web site contains materials from a poster presentation about barriers to care that was presented at the Seventh National Conference on Quality Health Care for Culturally Diverse Populations. Downloadable materials include:
- A poster that presents the concept of barriers to health care from the patient’s point of view, depicting the various system interface points at which patients can encounter barriers, with examples and suggestions for eliminating each barrier
These resources can be used to educate patients on a wide range of health issues. The resources available include guides, brochures, flyers, and more.
Topics covered are:
- Brain and nerves
- Coumadin ® (also known as warfarin)
- Fall prevention
- Hip replacement
- Intravenous access
- Safety issues
- Self catheterization
Lakeland Regional Medical Center developed three brochures that may help individuals and families facing the loss of a loved one. These brochures are available via links near the bottom of the page, under the Palliative Care Consultation Services section:
- Surviving the Loss of a Loved One
- Preparing for an Approaching Death
- Perinatal Bereavement
The Eldercare Locator Web site provides users with information and tools to help older persons live independently and safely in their homes and communities for as long as possible. As a public service of the Administration on Aging, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, it offers many useful resources for older adults, caregivers, and aging professionals, including:
- A nationwide database designed to link those who need assistance with State and local agencies on aging and...
This toolkit contains a variety of fall prevention resources for older adults and the caregivers and health care professionals who work with them. Content can be downloaded directly from the Web site, including manuals, guides, presentations, and videos. Examples of available resources include:
- Video exercises to improve strength and balance
- A home safety self-assessment checklist
- Professional screening and competency guides
- Prevention and risk...
POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) is a form that states what kind of medical treatment patients want toward the end of their lives. It is intended to help give seriously ill patients more control over their end-of-life care.
The POLST form and its related resources, including a brochure and videos, are available in multiple languages.
These resources, developed by the Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition, are intended to provide primary care physicians with practical guidance on the approach to the obese child. They include resources for physicians as well as informational handouts for them to share with their patients’ families.
The resources for physicians include:
- Primary care pocket guide to pediatric obesity management
- Child and adolescent healthy weight and nutrition tips
This booklet and resource directory provides information, motivational support, and tips for individuals within the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) communities to quit smoking. The booklet addresses the following:
- How tobacco affects different groups within LGBTQ communities
- Targeting by tobacco companies
- Quit tips and motivational stories
- Local and national quit resources
This brochure can help patients and their families understand congestive heart failure and current treatments, focusing on the use of a group of medications called beta blockers.
The brochure is divided into the following sections:
- Purpose of brochure
- Tips to help you manage your congestive heart failure
- Congestive heart failure
- What is congestive heart failure?
- Common causes
- Signs and...