This gateway Web site provides information and tools to help consumers stay healthy. The site includes general health information as well as contact information and resources on a wide range of health topics from over 1,600 Government and non-profit organizations. The topics covered are related to the focus areas of Healthy People 2010.
The site, also available in Spanish, provides the following information:
- Quick guide to health living
- Eat healthy
This electronic guide helps clinical members and staff of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical centers achieve evidence-based practice through promotion and implementation of successful clinical practice guidelines.
The guide includes the following sections:
- Leadership responsibilities
- Implementation overview
- Effective teamwork
- Planning for action
- Making change happen
- Measuring effects
This toolkit contains information about comprehensive diabetes exams focused on symptoms and complications of diabetes. The toolkit explains how to differentiate a comprehensive diabetes exam from an annual physical. By providing a specialized diabetes exam, providers are able to dedicate attention to disease management and test results.
Diabetic patients may be interested in these materials so that they can advocate for a comprehensive diabetes examination with their physician.
This fact sheet addresses planning healthy meals and provides tips for making healthy food choices.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Are home cooked meals healthier than eating out?
- Is there an easy system for planning healthy meals?
- Menu map
- How to use your menu map
- Good ideas for healthy meals
- Tips for making healthy food choices when eating out
This 51-page action plan, developed in response to escalating concerns about falls and fall-related injuries among the aging population, highlights strategies and preliminary action steps developed by participants in the Falls Free Summit. Thirty-six strategies are proposed, based on input from Summit participants, and organized under five goal areas.
This action plan is organized as follows:
- Executive summary
- Overview of the Falls Free Summit...
The Oregon Heart Failure GAP (Guidelines Applied in Practice) Toolkit contains a variety of tools, some for clinicians treating patients suffering from heart failure, and others for heart failure patients themselves.
- Clinician tools:
- Clinician guide to heart failure treatment - For primary care clinicians
- Tips for increasing effectiveness of interactions with patients
- Sample heart failure visit template
- Patient tools:
- How to care...
This tool outlines how the Federal Government intends to prepare, detect, and respond to the threat of pandemic influenza, whether it results from the avian flu or another influenza virus.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- President's letter
- The pandemic threat
- The National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza
- Pillars of the national strategy
- Implementation of the national strategy
- Preparedness and...
This Small Steps. Big Rewards. GAME PLAN kit describes the steps that consumers can take to prevent diabetes and live a longer, healthier life. It is based on the lifestyle modification strategies used in the diabetes prevention program, sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.
This kit includes the following information and tools:
- Overview of the Small Steps. Big Rewards. GAME PLAN
- Am I at risk for type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes?
This Web site presents information about tuberculosis (TB). It is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) National Prevention Information Network (NPIN).
This site provides information on the following:
- What’s new in TB
- TB today
- The changing epidemiology of TB
- Populations most affected by TB
- Challenges to TB elimination
- TB elimination and control today
- Making the connection