This book helps people with cancer learn from other people with cancer. It may also be useful to relatives and friends of patients with cancer to help them better understand what the patients are going through.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Cancer will change your life
- Your feelings: Learning you have cancer
- Family matters
- Sharing your feelings about cancer
- Learning about your cancer and feeling more in control ...
This fact sheet provides tips to help patients remember to take their blood pressure medications.
This four-page fact sheet addresses healthy eating habits and what parents can do to ensure that their child is eating well.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Have changes in our diets caused the obesity crisis?
- What influences children’s eating habits?
- What can I do to make sure my child is eating well?
- Is there an easy way to improve eating habits?
- Insist on breakfast
- Plan three meals and two snacks every day
This algorithm is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Diabetes Mellitus, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (VA/DoD). It is intended to:
- Promote evidence-based management of individuals with diabetes
- Identify the critical decision points in management of patients with diabetes mellitus (DM), such as glycemic control, evaluation of the eyes and feet, and comorbid conditions (e.g....
This report describes the importance of physical activity in older adults and provides recommendations for physicians to help their older patients stay active.
Some topics addressed include:
- Prevalence of inactivity in older adults
- Costs of inactivity
- Health benefits of regular physical activity
- Recommended levels of physical activity in older adults
- Strategies to promote physical activity in older adults
- What can work to promote...
This tool offers suggestions to help consumers stay safe during the holiday season.
It addresses the following topics:
- Toys and gifts
- Older adults
- Food and cooking
- Alcohol, parties, and driving
This brochure provides information about the connection between tuberculosis (TB) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
This tool addresses the following questions:
- What is TB?
- How is TB spread?
- What are the symptoms of TB?
- What is the difference between TB disease and TB infection?
- Why is it important to know if I have TB and HIV infections?
- What is a TB skin test?
- What must I do if I have TB infection or TB...
This 186-page chartbook is based on a broad review of recently published studies and reports, conducted to present a coherent picture of the quality of health care for elderly Medicare beneficiaries living in the community. The results are presented in 60 charts.
The topics in this chartbook are presented as follows:
- Summary and highlights
- Overview: Progress, gaps, and variations
- Challenges in measuring quality for the elderly population...
This fact sheet provides information about extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR TB). It is also available in Spanish, Chinese, French, and Italian. This fact sheet answers the following questions:
- What is XDR TB?
- How is XDR TB spread?
- Why is XDR TB so serious?
- Who is at risk for getting XDR TB?
- How can I prevent myself from getting TB?
- Can the TB vaccine (BCG) help prevent XDR TB?
- If I have regular (drug-susceptible) TB, how...
This fact sheet provides information for pregnant women who have tested positive for group B streptococcus (GBS) on how to protect their babies during pregnancy, when their water breaks or labor begins, and after the baby is born. It also includes GBS symptoms that babies may exhibit.