This fact sheet offers tips to help protect patients from infections in the hospital.
Tips on this fact sheet are divided into the following categories:
- Planning ahead for surgery
- While in the hospital following surgery
This booklet is for patients who are facing surgery that is not an emergency. It provides some questions patients can ask their primary care doctor and surgeon before having surgery as well as the reasons for asking these questions. This tool addresses the following topics:
- Care about your health
- Get the basic facts
- Learn about the benefits and risks
- Learn how to get more information
- Find out more about your operation
- Make sure your surgery...
This book helps people with cancer learn from other people with cancer. It may also be useful to relatives and friends of patients with cancer to help them better understand what the patients are going through.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Cancer will change your life
- Your feelings: Learning you have cancer
- Family matters
- Sharing your feelings about cancer
- Learning about your cancer and feeling more in control ...
This Web site focuses on National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month, which promotes the societal benefits of alcohol and drug use treatment, lauds the contributions of treatment providers, and promotes the message that recovery from alcohol and drug use disorders in all its forms is possible. Developed by the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Recovery Month activities have been held each September since 1998.
This 15-page checklist will help consumers find and fix hazards in their homes that may result in falls. The checklist asks about hazards found in each room and tells how to fix the problem.
The checklist includes the following sections:
- Floors in each room
- Stairs and steps inside and outside of the home
- Kitchen and eating areas
- Other things you can do to prevent falls
- Other safety tips
This report provides data on inpatient hospital discharges for all Pennsylvania general and most specialty acute care hospitals, regardless of bed size. The information is hospital-specific and is presented in three regional versions (Western, Central/Northeastern, and Southeastern). This tool can assist consumers and purchasers in making more informed health decisions and can also aid providers in highlighting additional opportunities for quality improvement and cost containment.
This report describes the importance of physical activity in older adults and provides recommendations for physicians to help their older patients stay active.
Some topics addressed include:
- Prevalence of inactivity in older adults
- Costs of inactivity
- Health benefits of regular physical activity
- Recommended levels of physical activity in older adults
- Strategies to promote physical activity in older adults
- What can work to promote...
This two-page flow sheet provides structured documentation for the assessment of patients with asthma and assists providers in embedding guidelines into daily practice.
The flow sheet includes fields for recording the following information:
- Vital signs and lung function tests
- Current symptoms
- Recent daytime symptoms
- Recent nighttime symptoms
- B2-agonist use
- ER visits
- Missed school
- Home peak flow rates
This tool offers suggestions to help consumers stay safe during the holiday season.
It addresses the following topics:
- Toys and gifts
- Older adults
- Food and cooking
- Alcohol, parties, and driving
This fact sheet provides tips to help patients remember to take their blood pressure medications.