This 16-page booklet is for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and for their friends and families. The focus is on helping people live with HIV and keep themselves healthy.
This booklet addresses the following questions:
- What is HIV and how did I get it?
- What is the difference between HIV infection and AIDS?
- How long does it take to go from HIV infection to a diagnosis of AIDS?
- How can I stay healthy longer?
- What can...
This guide is designed to help women understand changes that occur in their breasts.
This guide includes the following information:
- About your breasts
- Types of breast changes
- Finding breast changes
- Breast changes during your lifetime that are not cancer
- Getting a second opinion
- Followup tests to tell you more
- Finding the support you need
- For more information
- Chart 1: Possible mammogram results and followup care...
This guide for parents contains highlights from the report A Call to Action: Changing the Culture of Drinking at U.S. Colleges . It can help parents choose a college for their son or daughter, better understand campus culture, and get help for a student with an alcohol-related problem.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- A snapshot of annual high-risk college drinking consequences
- Parents: A primary influence
- Parents of a high school...
This tool by the American Cancer Society provides lists of questions to guide women with breast cancer in talking with their cancer care team.
The questions are organized into the following sections:
- When you’re told you have breast cancer
- When deciding on a treatment plan
- Before treatment
- During and after treatment
- Other questions I need answered (blank template for additional questions)
This Web-accessible database provides access to evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. The National Guideline Clearinghouse’s (NGC’s) mission is to provide physicians, nurses, health care providers and professionals, health plans, integrated delivery systems, purchasers, and others an accessible mechanism for obtaining objective, detailed information on clinical practice guidelines and to further their dissemination, implementation, and use.
Key components of NGC include:...
This fact sheet explains the risks of having a high blood cholesterol level and provides guidance on lowering high blood cholesterol.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Why is cholesterol important?
- How does cholesterol cause heart disease?
- What do your cholesterol numbers mean?
- What affects cholesterol levels?
- What is your risk of developing heart disease or having a heart attack?
- Treating high cholesterol ...
This booklet presents science-based advice of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans .
It addresses the following topics:
- Feeling better today; staying healthy for tomorrow
- Making smart choices from every food group
- Mixing up your choices within each food group
- Finding your balance between food and physical activity
- Getting the most nutrition out of your calories
- Nutrition facts
- Playing it safe with food...
This guide provides information for people caring for someone with AIDS at home. It is also for people with AIDS and HIV infection who are sick and need care.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- How to get ready to take care of someone at home
- What you need to know about HIV and AIDS
- How HIV is spread
- How HIV is NOT spread
- Giving care
The FindYouthInfo Program Directory features evidence-based programs whose purpose is to prevent and/or reduce delinquency or other problem behaviors in young people . This searchable database provides information about program designs that successfully deal with risky behaviors in youth so they can be replicated to meet local needs.
Program tools can be viewed as follows:
- By risk factor
- By protective factor
- By keyword
- All programs
This series of fact sheets is intended for women who are HIV-positive and pregnant or have recently given birth. These fact sheets describe the steps an HIV-positive pregnant woman can take to preserve her health and prevent transmission of HIV to her baby.
These fact sheets provide information on the following topics:
- HIV testing and pregnancy
- Treatment regimens for HIV-positive pregnant women
- Safety and toxicity of anti-HIV medications during...