This 16-page booklet is for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and for their friends and families. The focus is on helping people live with HIV and keep themselves healthy.
This booklet addresses the following questions:
- What is HIV and how did I get it?
- What is the difference between HIV infection and AIDS?
- How long does it take to go from HIV infection to a diagnosis of AIDS?
- How can I stay healthy longer?
- What can...
The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) is a voluntary health organization seeking to prevent kidney and urinary tract diseases, improve the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by these diseases, and increase the availability of all organs for transplantation. Goals of the NKF include:
- Supporting research and research training
- Continuing education of health care professionals
- Expanding patient services and community resources
This guide for parents contains highlights from the report A Call to Action: Changing the Culture of Drinking at U.S. Colleges . It can help parents choose a college for their son or daughter, better understand campus culture, and get help for a student with an alcohol-related problem.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- A snapshot of annual high-risk college drinking consequences
- Parents: A primary influence
- Parents of a high school...
This checklist displays screening tests, preventive medicine, and other healthy life behaviors recommended for women by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. The screening test checklist allows patients to chart dates and test results as well as questions for the doctor.
This tool by the American Cancer Society provides lists of questions to guide women with breast cancer in talking with their cancer care team.
The questions are organized into the following sections:
- When you’re told you have breast cancer
- When deciding on a treatment plan
- Before treatment
- During and after treatment
- Other questions I need answered (blank template for additional questions)
This fact sheet explains the risks of having a high blood cholesterol level and provides guidance on lowering high blood cholesterol.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Why is cholesterol important?
- How does cholesterol cause heart disease?
- What do your cholesterol numbers mean?
- What affects cholesterol levels?
- What is your risk of developing heart disease or having a heart attack?
- Treating high cholesterol ...
This fact sheet addresses the importance of a Pap test and pelvic exam.
This fact sheet provides answers to the following questions on Pap tests and pelvic exams:
- What is a Pap test?
- What is a pelvic exam?
- Why are a Pap test and pelvic exam important?
- Who performs a Pap test?
- How is a Pap test done?
- How often should a woman have a Pap test?
- When should the Pap test be done?
- How are the results of a Pap test reported?...
This guide provides information for people caring for someone with AIDS at home. It is also for people with AIDS and HIV infection who are sick and need care.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- How to get ready to take care of someone at home
- What you need to know about HIV and AIDS
- How HIV is spread
- How HIV is NOT spread
- Giving care
This series of fact sheets discusses some of the major side effects of anti-HIV medications. The information in this series is based on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in HIV-1-Infected Adults and Adolescents and Management of Metabolic Complications Associated with Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV-1 Infection: Recommendations of an International AIDS Society-USA Panel.
These fact sheets address...
The FindYouthInfo Program Directory features evidence-based programs whose purpose is to prevent and/or reduce delinquency or other problem behaviors in young people . This searchable database provides information about program designs that successfully deal with risky behaviors in youth so they can be replicated to meet local needs.
Program tools can be viewed as follows:
- By risk factor
- By protective factor
- By keyword
- All programs