This fact sheet provides information about extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR TB). It is also available in Spanish, Chinese, French, and Italian. This fact sheet answers the following questions:
- What is XDR TB?
- How is XDR TB spread?
- Why is XDR TB so serious?
- Who is at risk for getting XDR TB?
- How can I prevent myself from getting TB?
- Can the TB vaccine (BCG) help prevent XDR TB?
- If I have regular (drug-susceptible) TB, how...
The Roadmaps for Clinical Practice Series: Assessment and Management of Adult Obesity Primer is designed to offer practical recommendations for addressing adult obesity in the primary care setting. The primer includes 10 booklets plus clinical tools and patient handouts.
The primer offers practical advice on:
- Evaluating patients for current and potential health risks related to weight—beginning with a measure of the body mass index (BMI)
The SBAR (Situation-Background-Assessment-Recommendation) technique and tools provide a framework for communication between members of the health care team about a patient’s condition. SBAR is an easy-to-remember, concrete mechanism for framing any conversation requiring a clinician’s immediate attention and action. Free registration and login are required to download the tool.
This tool includes two components:
- SBAR report to physician about a critical situation:...
The Recovery Month Toolkit guides users, such as community leaders and health care providers, through the entire process of planning, launching, and publicizing National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month activities and events.
The three sections of this planning toolkit–media outreach, targeted outreach, and resources–will help the user to:
- Target key groups to involve
- Plan events
- Publicize in the media
- Provide information
This guide is an evidence-informed modular approach for assisting people in the immediate aftermath of disaster and terrorism, to reduce initial distress and to foster short- and long-term adaptive functioning. It is for use by mental health specialists, including first responders, incident command systems, primary and emergency health care providers, school crisis response teams, faith-based organizations, disaster relief organizations, Community Emergency Response Teams, Medical Reserve...
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of adult acute myeloid leukemia (AML).
This tool is organized into the following sections:
- General information about AML
- AML with characteristic genetic abnormalities
- AML with an FLT3 mutation
- AML with multilineage dysplasia
- Therapy-related AMLs and...
The Health Insurer Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist identifies important, targeted activities health insurers can do now to prepare for a pandemic. This checklist is organized according to business-related, employee-related, and communications-related activities.
The checklist is divided into the following sections:
- Plan for the impact of an influenza pandemic on your business.
- Plan for the impact of an influenza pandemic on your employees and establish...
This pocket guide is condensed from Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician’s Guide, a 30-page guide prepared by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) . It is organized into the following sections, using flowchart or tabular format:
- How to screen for heavy drinking
- How to assess for alcohol use disorders
- How to conduct a brief intervention (for at-risk drinking and for alcohol use disorders)
- What’s a...
This tool is a collection of fact sheets on drug abuse and addiction.
These fact sheets are organized in the following categories:
- Effects of drug abuse
- Health effects of specific drugs
- Prevention and treatment
- Survey data
The Asthma Action Plan is a one-page form that the doctor and patient can complete together. It provides information and instructions for patients’ self-management of asthma and includes space for the doctor to fill in directions for medication, peak flow numbers, asthma triggers, and what to do in case of an asthma attack or an emergency.