This brochure provides information about when and if antibiotics are effective against illnesses and when they are not. It is organized into the following sections:
- The risk: Bacteria becomes resistant
- Antibiotics aren’t always the answer
- Protect yourself with the best care
- Commonly asked questions
This three-page patient guide is based on the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s recommendations about fertility preservation in people treated for cancer.
This patient guide addresses the following topics:
- Cancer treatment and fertility
- Options for preserving fertility before cancer treatment
- For women
- For men
- What this means for patients
- Questions to ask the doctor
This 145-page manual examines the roles and responsibilities of child protective services (CPS) workers. It describes the purposes, key decisions, and issues of each stage of the CPS process and covers strategies for casework supervision, training, and support. Best practices and critical issues in casework practice are underscored throughout.
This manual addresses the following topics:
- CPS theory and practice
- The helping relationship
- Responsibilities of CPS...
The National Women’s Heath Information Center (NWHIC) provides a gateway to the vast array of Federal and other women’s health information resources. This Web site can help users link to, read, and download a wide variety of materials related to women’s health developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), other Federal agencies, and private sector organizations.
The Web site includes the following major sections:
- About womenshealth.gov
This fact sheet addresses the assessment of overweight in children and provides recommendations for getting help.
This fact sheet includes the following sections:
- Overweight or not?
- Getting help losing weight
- What to expect at the doctor’s office
- Body mass index (BMI)-for-age example
- What to do when a child is overweight
- Spotting eating disorders
- Treating eating disorders
- Warning signs
- Moving toward a healthy...
This consumer fact sheet presents information on stroke prevention, including warning signs and risk factors.
This tool gives detailed information about Medicare-certified home health agencies. Users can search for information by State, county, or zip code or by the name of the home health agency.
The Oregon Heart Failure GAP (Guidelines Applied in Practice) Toolkit contains a variety of tools, some for clinicians treating patients suffering from heart failure, and others for heart failure patients themselves.
- Clinician tools:
- Clinician guide to heart failure treatment - For primary care clinicians
- Tips for increasing effectiveness of interactions with patients
- Sample heart failure visit template
- Patient tools:
- How to care...
This Web site is an online journal and forum on patient safety and health care quality.
The tool includes the following features:
- Expert analysis of medical error reports submitted anonymously by Web site users, in the following clinical areas and specialties:
- Clinical ethics
- Critical care
- Emergency medicine
- Family medicine
- Hospital medicine
- Laboratory medicine
This two-page tool is a summary of the American Academy of Neurology and Child Neurology Society guideline on diagnosis of the child with global developmental delay. This practice parameter reviewed available evidence concerning the value of diagnostic testing in the initial evaluation of a young child with a global developmental delay that is static and nonprogressive and has no clear etiology.
This summary presents specific recommendations for each of the following testing modalities...