Communities are using the walk or bike to school as the first step to change community culture and create environments that are more inviting for everyone, young and old. This Web page provides information and materials to support local implementation of International Walk to School Month/Day in October of each year.
The campaign encourages walking or biking to school to:
- Enhance the health of kids
- Improve air quality and the environment
- Create safer routes...
This tool gives health care workers information about the risks of occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens, including hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), and suggests actions to be taken when such exposures occur.
The following health topics are discussed:
- Occupational exposures to blood
- If an exposure occurs
- Risk of infection after exposure
- Treatment for the exposure
- Followup after...
This 19-page guide presents information to help older adults avoid problems with medication use.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Aging and health: You and your medicines
- Talk to your health care professionals
- What you need to know about your prescription medicines
- Taking prescription medicines
- Taking over-the-counter medicines
- Cutting medicine costs
- Tips for seniors on safe medicine use
- My medicine record...
This chartbook is the first comprehensive national report on the quality of pediatric care. The researchers reviewed over 500 studies and synthesized this information into 40 charts that provide a portrait of the current state of pediatric health care.
The chartbook finds dramatic progress in some areas–such as reductions in hospital-acquired infections in pediatric intensive care units–and serious challenges in many others–such as gaps in preventive care and developmental services. It...
This 53-page resource packet, available in English and Spanish, provides resources to support individuals, organizations, and communities in their efforts to promote safe children and healthy families.
This resource packet presents the following information:
- Supporting families: Preventing child abuse
- Promoting safe children and healthy families: What organizations can do
- Building on strengths: Enhancing protective factors for children and families
This Web page contains children’s environmental health tips for every day in October, in observance of Children’s Health Month. These tips and related resources introduce prevention activities to keep children safe at home and at school.
This Web site, hosted by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), provides information to consumers about health-related issues of current interest to the general public.
The Web site is categorized as follows:
- Medical devices
- Biologics, blood, and vaccines
- Animal and veterinary
- Radiation-emitting products
- Dietary supplements
- Seasonal topics
- Cross-cutting topics
- News from FDA
This five-page guide for older adults provides information on how to avoid medication and alcohol misuse.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Take steps on your own
- Signals that may indicate an alcohol- or medication-related problem
- Talk to someone you trust
- Share the right information with your health care professional
- List your prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as your dietary supplements and herbal preparations...
This tool provides tips to help parents and caregivers choose safe toys for their children.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- The creation of safe toy standards
- How toys are tested for safety
- Choosing toys for your child’s age group
- For infants, toddlers, and preschoolers
- For grade-schoolers
- Toys in your home
- Dangerous toys
- Loud toys
- Other things to consider
- Reporting unsafe toys ...
This manual addresses the definition, scope, causes, and consequences of child abuse and neglect. It presents an overview of prevention efforts and the child protection process, from identification and reporting through investigation and assessment, to service provision and closure. It also describes the roles and responsibilities of various community members (including health care providers) in conducting these activities and working collaboratively.
This manual addresses the...