This guide teaches communities how to organize and implement the KidsWalk-to-School program, which aims to get children to walk and bicycle to and from school in groups accompanied by adults. This gives kids a chance to be more physically active, to practice safe pedestrian skills, and to learn more about their environment. At the same time, KidsWalk-to-School encourages people to change their neighborhoods for the better, working together, to make walking a safe and enjoyable part of...
This five-page guide for older adults provides information on how to avoid medication and alcohol misuse.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Take steps on your own
- Signals that may indicate an alcohol- or medication-related problem
- Talk to someone you trust
- Share the right information with your health care professional
- List your prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as your dietary supplements and herbal preparations...
This issue brief examines resources that can assist hospitals and other health systems in preparing for bioterrorism disasters, and in conducting disaster drills in particular. It presents steps in the continuous cycle of disaster preparedness.
Topics addressed include:
- Conventional disasters versus bioterrorism
- Disaster planning: An ongoing community effort
- Continuous effort
- Key components
- Community-wide plan
- Hospital emergency...
This 145-page manual examines the roles and responsibilities of child protective services (CPS) workers. It describes the purposes, key decisions, and issues of each stage of the CPS process and covers strategies for casework supervision, training, and support. Best practices and critical issues in casework practice are underscored throughout.
This manual addresses the following topics:
- CPS theory and practice
- The helping relationship
- Responsibilities of CPS...
FluAid 2.0 is a test version of software designed to assist State and local planners in preparing for the next influenza pandemic by providing estimates of potential impact specific to their locality. FluAid provides a range of estimates of impact in terms of deaths, hospitalizations, and outpatient visits due to pandemic influenza.
Users can download the software from this Web page and view the following information:
- National estimates of economic impact
This one-page tip sheet provides five simple tips for safe medication use.
This tool provides the following tips:
- Bring a list or a bag with ALL your medicines when you go to your doctor’s office, the pharmacy, or the hospital
- Ask questions about your medicines
- Make sure your medicine is what the doctor ordered
- Ask how to use the medicine correctly
- Ask about possible side effects
This tool offers suggestions to help consumers stay safe during the holiday season.
It addresses the following topics:
- Toys and gifts
- Older adults
- Food and cooking
- Alcohol, parties, and driving
This guide provides tips to help older people prevent falls.
This guide discusses the following four tips:
- Begin a regular exercise program
- Make your home safer
- Have your health care provider review your medicines
- Have your vision checked
This Web site contains concepts, tips, and tools for evaluating the quality of health care for children. This online resource can help to answer the following (and related) questions about measuring health care quality in child health programs:
- How can you tell whether children are receiving quality health care?
- How do you know when a health program is functioning effectively?
- Where can you find tools to help answer these questions?
- If the right tool is not...
This report explores the topic of effective individual risk management in community-based services among States engaged in risk planning for Medicaid home- and community-based services (HCBS) waiver participants. Administrators from 11 State operating agencies, representing a range of waiver types and geographic areas, were interviewed for this report. These agencies served at least one of four waiver populations (the elderly, people with physical disabilities, people with mental retardation...