This slide set “Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings - Core” and accompanying speaker notes provide an overview of the Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings published in 2002.
This slide presentation addresses the following hand hygiene topics:
- So why all the fuss about hand hygiene?
- Evidence of relationship between hand hygiene and health care-associated infections
- Hand hygiene adherence in hospitals
Medical errors can occur at many points in the health care system, particularly in hospitals. This 2-page fact sheet provides the following 10 tips that hospitals can implement to improve patient safety:
- Assess and improve patient safety culture (by surveying unit staff)
- Build teamwork (by improving staff communication)
- Limit shifts for hospital staff, if possible
- Insert chest tubes safely
- Prevent central line-related bloodstream infections...
This tool provides links for downloading five campaign posters that emphasize the importance of personal protective equipment and handwashing as a means to reduce the risk of infection in health care settings. These posters are intended for both clinical and general audiences. Two of the posters are also available in Spanish.
This tool provides key facts about hurricane preparedness and evacuation.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preparing for a hurricane
- Emergency supplies you will need
- Preparing to evacuate
- If you are ordered to evacuate
- If you are ordered NOT to evacuate
This educational module addresses preventable adverse drug reactions (ADRs). It was developed based on a needs survey sent to all third-year medicine clerkship directors and all medicine residency program directors in the United States.
This module contains the following components:
- Slide presentation
- Sample case
- ADR prevalence and incidence
- Types of drug interactions
- Drug metabolism
- ADR reporting
- Preventing drug...
This Web site is a one-stop gateway to school food safety information and resources. It includes the following information:
Action Guide Tools: Use the tools to launch and build support for food-safe school programs, such as a how-to guide and video, motivational PowerPoint(r) presentation and administrator’s briefing brochure, and topical in-depth modules
Assess: Assess your school’s food safety strengths and weaknesses and develop a plan for improvement using the Food-Safe...
This toolkit presents strategies for comprehensively redesigning and transforming hospital care processes. It includes a discussion of the forces that compel health care systems to embark on redesign or system transformation, a series of steps to be taken in planning for redesign or system transformation, and strategies for translating information gathered into proposed projects for implementation.
This toolkit presents the following major topics:
- Forces that compel system...
This guide presents ways patients can ensure safe medication use for themselves and their family.
Topics addressed in this guide include:
- Receiving instructions for taking medications at the clinic, doctor’s office, and pharmacy
- Taking medications at home
- Taking medication in the hospital
- Handling a hospital or retail pharmacy medication error
- Teamwork pays off
This Microsoft ® Excel spreadsheet can be used to calculate the use of hand-sterilizing alcohol per 1000 patient days as a means to evaluate and improve hand hygiene practices. The spreadsheet collects data on the use of wall-mounted and pocket-sized, alcohol-based hand rubs.
This spreadsheet allows users to collect the following information:
- Number of large cans or bottles used throughout unit
- Grams per large can or bottle used throughout unit...
This database provides State- and county-level health data for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, and U.S. territories and possessions. Data are available by gender and race/ethnicity and come from a variety of National and State sources. Users can generate custom tables, graphs, and maps.
Database users follow a three-step process:
- Select variables, from among 11 categories:
- Health care access
- Codes and status for geographic area