IOM Domains of Quality
This fact sheet provides information for pregnant women who have tested positive for group B streptococcus (GBS) on how to protect their babies during pregnancy, when their water breaks or labor begins, and after the baby is born. It also includes GBS symptoms that babies may exhibit.
This toolkit was created to assist States and health care facilities facing legislative mandates to publicly report health care-associated infections by providing guidance on components necessary for a meaningful reporting system. It details recommended steps, including the identification or creation of a responsible agency at the State level, personnel for data collection and quality improvement, strategies to prevent unintended consequences of public reporting, and recommended outcome...
This guide is an evidence-informed modular approach for assisting people in the immediate aftermath of disaster and terrorism, to reduce initial distress and to foster short- and long-term adaptive functioning. It is for use by mental health specialists, including first responders, incident command systems, primary and emergency health care providers, school crisis response teams, faith-based organizations, disaster relief organizations, Community Emergency Response Teams, Medical Reserve...
This brochure includes information about group B strep (GBS) and steps that pregnant women can take before they go into labor and when their water breaks to prevent their baby from being infected with GBS.
- What is GBS?
- Being a carrier for these bacteria does not mean you have an infection.
- Ask your doctor for a GBS test when you are 35 to 37 weeks pregnant.
- The antibiotic is only given during labor.
- What you can do before...
This pocket guide is condensed from Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician’s Guide, a 30-page guide prepared by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) . It is organized into the following sections, using flowchart or tabular format:
- How to screen for heavy drinking
- How to assess for alcohol use disorders
- How to conduct a brief intervention (for at-risk drinking and for alcohol use disorders)
- What’s a...
This brochure for Veterans Administration (VA) health care providers describes secondary prevention activities for patients with HIV.
This brochure answers the following questions:
- What is secondary HIV prevention?
- What are the goals of secondary HIV prevention?
- Who in VA medical centers, clinics, and Vet Centers can conduct secondary HIV prevention activities?
- Why should VA health care providers practice secondary HIV prevention activities with...
This tool is a collection of fact sheets on drug abuse and addiction.
These fact sheets are organized in the following categories:
- Effects of drug abuse
- Health effects of specific drugs
- Prevention and treatment
- Survey data
Healthy People 2010 is a set of health objectives for the Nation to achieve over the first decade of the new century. It challenges individuals, communities, and professionals to take specific steps to ensure that good health, as well as long life, are enjoyed by all. The framework can be used by States, communities, professional organizations, and many others to help them develop programs to improve health.
The Web site includes the following information and resources:
This fact sheet provides information about multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR TB). It is also available in Spanish.
This fact sheet answers the following questions:
- What is tuberculosis (TB)?
- What is multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR TB)?
- What is extensively drug resistant tuberculosis (XDR TB)?
- How is TB spread?
- How does drug resistance happen?
- Who is at risk for getting MDR TB?
- How can MDR TB be prevented?
SNAP (School Network for Absenteeism Prevention) is a grassroots, education-based effort to improve health by making hand cleaning an integral part of the school day.
The SNAP toolkit is organized into the following sections:
- About the SNAP program
- Clean hands: A critical issue
- Getting real and making it happen
- Integrating hand cleaning into the curriculum
- Step-by-step project planning guide
- About the National Recognition Program...