IOM Domains of Quality
This cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about skin cancer screening.
Information about the following is included in this summary:
- Skin cancer incidence and mortality statistics and information about skin cancer risk factors
- Skin cancer...
This tool answers questions about avian influenza (bird flu) and avian influenza A (H5N1).
Questions and answers are grouped into the following categories:
- Avian influenza
- Avian influenza A (H5N1)
- Influenza pandemic preparedness
- Avian influenza infection in animals
This checklist offers interventions to increase overall compliance with hand hygiene guidelines in a health care setting.
The interventions on this checklist address the following areas:
- Making changes on the walls and countertops and in the supply closet
- Actions for infection control professionals, patient safety managers, quality managers, nurses, and supply personnel
- Required policies/rules/training/awareness
- Promoting culture change
The American Academy of Neurology guideline summary provides patients and their families with information about tests that help physicians identify the cause of status epilepticus in children.
The guideline summary is organized into the following sections:
- What is a seizure?
- What is status epilepticus (SE)?
- Diagnosing the cause of SE
- Laboratory tests
- Metabolic and genetic testing
This brochure includes information about group B strep (GBS) and steps that pregnant women can take before they go into labor and when their water breaks to prevent their baby from being infected with GBS.
- What is GBS?
- Being a carrier for these bacteria does not mean you have an infection.
- Ask your doctor for a GBS test when you are 35 to 37 weeks pregnant.
- The antibiotic is only given during labor.
- What you can do before...
The Roadmaps for Clinical Practice Series: Assessment and Management of Adult Obesity Primer is designed to offer practical recommendations for addressing adult obesity in the primary care setting. The primer includes 10 booklets plus clinical tools and patient handouts.
The primer offers practical advice on:
- Evaluating patients for current and potential health risks related to weight—beginning with a measure of the body mass index (BMI)
The Asthma Action Plan is a one-page form that the doctor and patient can complete together. It provides information and instructions for patients’ self-management of asthma and includes space for the doctor to fill in directions for medication, peak flow numbers, asthma triggers, and what to do in case of an asthma attack or an emergency.
This fact sheet provides information about tuberculosis for international travelers.
The fact sheet answer the following questions:
- What is tuberculosis (TB)?
- What is multidrug resistant tuberculosis (MDR TB)?
- What is extensively drug resistant tuberculosis (XDR TB)?
- How does drug resistance happen?
- How is TB spread?
- How does drug resistance happen?
- Are international travelers at risk for getting MDR or XDR TB while...
Healthy People 2010 is a set of health objectives for the Nation to achieve over the first decade of the new century. It challenges individuals, communities, and professionals to take specific steps to ensure that good health, as well as long life, are enjoyed by all. The framework can be used by States, communities, professional organizations, and many others to help them develop programs to improve health.
The Web site includes the following information and resources:
The National HIV/AIDS Program Image Library contains more than 200 images of clinical symptoms of HIV infection. Images can be downloaded, printed, archived, and distributed, free of charge, as long as appropriate credit is given to the original image contributors.
Images are organized in the following categories:
- HIV-related cancers
- Opportunistic infections
- Treatment complications ...