This 19-page guide presents information to help older adults avoid problems with medication use.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Aging and health: You and your medicines
- Talk to your health care professionals
- What you need to know about your prescription medicines
- Taking prescription medicines
- Taking over-the-counter medicines
- Cutting medicine costs
- Tips for seniors on safe medicine use
- My medicine record...
This five-page guide for older adults provides information on how to avoid medication and alcohol misuse.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Take steps on your own
- Signals that may indicate an alcohol- or medication-related problem
- Talk to someone you trust
- Share the right information with your health care professional
- List your prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as your dietary supplements and herbal preparations...
This guide provides tips to help older people prevent falls.
This guide discusses the following four tips:
- Begin a regular exercise program
- Make your home safer
- Have your health care provider review your medicines
- Have your vision checked
This Web site provides consumers with detailed information about the past performance of every Medicare- and Medicaid-certified nursing home in the country. Other resources are available at the site to help consumers with their nursing home choices.
This Web site includes the following sections:
- Find–Search for nursing homes by:
- ZIP code
This 186-page chartbook is based on a broad review of recently published studies and reports, conducted to present a coherent picture of the quality of health care for elderly Medicare beneficiaries living in the community. The results are presented in 60 charts.
The topics in this chartbook are presented as follows:
- Summary and highlights
- Overview: Progress, gaps, and variations
- Challenges in measuring quality for the elderly population...
The purpose of this toolkit is to assist State units on aging in revising and updating their nutrition-related regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines. Among the objectives of the toolkit are to provide technical assistance and guidance to the Aging Network and to identify best practices and emerging areas for planning new approaches to implementing the Older Americans Act.
The tool kit includes the following information:
- Meal service...
This consumer guide helps older Pennsylvanians choose Medicare Advantage Plans. Medicare Advantage Plans (also called Part C) are managed care plans offered by private insurance companies that manage the health care of their enrolled members.
- Lists managed care plans by county
- Provides comparisons on monthly premiums and co-payments
- Gives an overview of the benefits offered
- Presents information about several quality measurements, as...
This 15-page checklist will help consumers find and fix hazards in their homes that may result in falls. The checklist asks about hazards found in each room and tells how to fix the problem.
The checklist includes the following sections:
- Floors in each room
- Stairs and steps inside and outside of the home
- Kitchen and eating areas
- Other things you can do to prevent falls
- Other safety tips
This report describes the importance of physical activity in older adults and provides recommendations for physicians to help their older patients stay active.
Some topics addressed include:
- Prevalence of inactivity in older adults
- Costs of inactivity
- Health benefits of regular physical activity
- Recommended levels of physical activity in older adults
- Strategies to promote physical activity in older adults
- What can work to promote...
This interactive decision-support tool assists consumers who are considering signing up for Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage.
After answering a short series of questions on this Web site, users will learn the following:
- How their current insurance or other prescription drug coverage affects their options and rights under Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage
- Whether they qualify for extra help with their costs under Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage...