This tool is a step-by-step guide to helping people with heart disease make decisions that will protect and improve their heart health. It provides information about lifestyle habits, medicines, and other treatments that can lessen the chances of having a heart attack.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Heart disease: A wakeup call
- What is heart disease?
- Getting tested for heart disease
- Controlling your risk factors
- You and your doctor...
The Electronic Preventive Services Selector (ePSS) is a hands-on tool designed to help primary care clinicians identify the screening, counseling, and preventive medication services that are appropriate for their patients.
The ePSS can be accessed on the Web or on a PDA or mobile device. It is based on current recommendations of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) and can be searched by specific patient characteristics, such as age, sex, and selected behavioral risk...
This fact sheet provides answers to questions on human papillomaviruses (HPVs) and cancer.
- What are HPVs and how are they transmitted?
- What are genital warts?
- What is the association between HPV infection and cancer?
- Are there specific types of HPVs that are associated with cancer?
- What are the risk factors for HPV infection and cervical cancer?
- How are HPV infections detected?
- How are cervical cell...
This toolkit provides a variety of tools for primary care practice teams to deliver coordinated, integrated, and multidisciplinary services to both prevent obesity and improve care for children who are already overweight or at risk for being overweight.
This toolkit includes a section with parenting tips and patient education tools as well as the following sections for providers:
- Assessment and diagnosis
- Management and treatment - Office
This tool is a two-page summary of three American Academy of Neurology guidelines on dementia. This summary focuses on Alzheimer’s disease (AD), for which current evidence is strongest and clearest.
This summary addresses the following practice parameters:
- Detection of dementia – Mild cognitive impairment
- Diagnosis of dementia
- Management of dementia
This summary also presents strategies to improve functional performance and reduce problem...
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on routine vitamin supplementation to prevent cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Topics addressed include:
- What does the USPSTF recommend?
- What does the evidence indicate?
- Should people take vitamin supplements?
- What are the potential harms of vitamin supplements?
- More information
The Oregon Heart Failure GAP (Guidelines Applied in Practice) Toolkit contains a variety of tools, some for clinicians treating patients suffering from heart failure, and others for heart failure patients themselves.
- Clinician tools:
- Clinician guide to heart failure treatment - For primary care clinicians
- Tips for increasing effectiveness of interactions with patients
- Sample heart failure visit template
- Patient tools:
- How to care...
This manual outlines all of the key elements of a system of excellent care for people with diabetes.
This tool addresses the following diabetes care topics:
- The challenge
- The solution
- Care model checklist
- Decision support
- Clinical information system
- Delivery system design
- Organization of health care
- Care model: Changes for specific populations
- Improvement model...
The aim of this booklet is to provide accurate information about alcohol use and misuse by women of various ages.
The booklet addresses the following topics:
- Women and drinking
- How much is too much?
- Moderate drinking: Benefits and risks
- Heavy drinking
- Alcohol in women’s lives: Safe drinking over a lifetime
- Women in young and middle adulthood
- Older women
This brochure is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work” campaign. It will educate parents about when antibiotics work–and when they won’t.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- The risk: Bacteria becomes resistant
- Antibiotics aren’t always the answer
- Protect your child, give the best care
- Commonly asked questions