This tool is intended for health care professionals, students, and ancillary personnel who have minimal experience working with homeless patients.
Recognizing that standard clinical practice guidelines often fail to take into consideration the unique health care challenges faced by displaced people, the Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians’ Network convened an advisory committee comprised of six health and social service providers to develop standards for the...
This 180-page guide addresses several important aspects of primary care and treatment for patients with HIV/AIDS. The 18 chapters in this guide were written by HIV/AIDS researchers and physicians at major U.S. medical centers. Using the recommended references and citations, the user can access in-depth information on topics of particular importance.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Primary care as chronic care
- Approach to the patient
- Core elements...
The manual teaches pediatric health providers how to routinely screen for parental depression and how to refer parents to professionals for help.
The manual contains the following sections:
- Section one: Summary of the parental well-being project experience
- Section two: Role of the pediatric provider in the screening process
- Section three: Implementation of parental depression screening at the practice level
- Section four: Guide for organizations...
This guide presents ways patients can ensure safe medication use for themselves and their family.
Topics addressed in this guide include:
- Receiving instructions for taking medications at the clinic, doctor’s office, and pharmacy
- Taking medications at home
- Taking medication in the hospital
- Handling a hospital or retail pharmacy medication error
- Teamwork pays off
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on screening for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.
Topics addressed include:
- Why is screening for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women important?
- Who is at risk for osteoporosis?
- What does the USPSTF recommend?
- What screening tests are available?
- What treatments are available?
- How do the current recommendations differ from those...
This booklet is for patients who are facing surgery that is not an emergency. It provides some questions patients can ask their primary care doctor and surgeon before having surgery as well as the reasons for asking these questions. This tool addresses the following topics:
- Care about your health
- Get the basic facts
- Learn about the benefits and risks
- Learn how to get more information
- Find out more about your operation
- Make sure your surgery...
This booklet for men can help answer questions about prostate changes that happen with age, such as:
- What are common prostate changes?
- How are these changes treated?
- What do I need to know about testing for prostate changes, including cancer?
This booklet addresses the following topics:
- Introduction to the prostate
- Prostate changes that are not cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Talking to your doctor
- Types of tests ...
This 58-page pocket guide is provided as an information resource to assist physicians and other health professionals in the appropriate treatment of patients with HIV/AIDS. This pocket guide supports A Guide to Primary Care of People with HIV/AIDS, 2004 Edition , and provides an easy reference for point-of-care decisionmaking.
The guide includes the following information:
- Drug information tables
- Adult antiretroviral therapy tables
This Web site provides consumer-oriented brochures on hepatitis A, B, and C in a variety of languages.
This site includes the following brochures:
- Prevent hepatitis A
- Viral hepatitis integration for HIV prevention community planners brochure
- Protect your baby for life from hepatitis B
- Hepatitis B and you
- Living with chronic hepatitis B
- Prevent hepatitis B
- What every injection drug user should know
- Hepatitis C…...
This tool is a quick reference guide for health care professionals discussing fertility preservation with cancer patients. This tool includes:
- A table summary of the various fertility preservation options for males and females
- Patient-physician discussion points