Active care processes: diagnosis and treatment
This fact sheet explains how a patient in need of a transplant is matched to an organ donor. It briefly describes the centralized computer network maintained by the United Network for Organ Sharing, addresses the role of the transplant center, explains how patients in the transplant pool are ranked, and discusses the process once an organ becomes available.
This Microsoft ® Excel spreadsheet can be used to calculate the use of hand-sterilizing alcohol per 1000 patient days as a means to evaluate and improve hand hygiene practices. The spreadsheet collects data on the use of wall-mounted and pocket-sized, alcohol-based hand rubs.
This spreadsheet allows users to collect the following information:
- Number of large cans or bottles used throughout unit
- Grams per large can or bottle used throughout unit...
This fact sheet answers the following common questions about chlamydia:
- What is chlamydia and how common is it?
- How do you get chlamydia?
- What are the symptoms of chlamydia?
- How is chlamydia diagnosed?
- Who should get tested for chlamydia?
- What is the treatment for chlamydia?
- What should I do if I have chlamydia?
- What health problems can result from untreated chlamydia?
- How can chlamydia be prevented?
- Links to...
Medicines In My Home is an interactive educational program about the safe and effective use of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines. It includes materials geared to both students and adults.
This Web site is divided into four sections:
- Teachers’ room
- Course description and objectives
- Teachers’ kit
- Classroom lesson materials
- Medicines in my home: Information for students on using OTC medicines safely
- Classroom lesson on safe OTC...
- Classroom lesson materials
This National Institute on Aging Web site provides current, comprehensive information and resources concerning Alzheimer’s disease (AD) for health professionals, people with AD, and their families.
This site includes the following sections:
- Alzheimer’s information (includes links to numerous publications, some in easy-to-read and Spanish versions)
- General information
- Treatment (includes a link to an AD...
This guide is a comprehensive clinical manual that addresses the primary care needs unique to women infected with HIV. The target audience is clinicians who provide primary care to women, as well as those seeking a more in-depth understanding of how to care for women with HIV/AIDS.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Epidemiology and natural history of HIV infection in women
- Approach to the patient
- Prevention of HIV
- Primary medical care ...
This summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of breast cancer and pregnancy.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- Stage information
- Treatment option overview
- Other considerations for pregnancy and breast cancer
- Fetal consequences of maternal breast cancer
- Consequences of pregnancy in patients with a history...
This 454-page pocket guide is intended as a source of general industrial hygiene information for workers, employers, and occupational health professionals. It presents key information and data in abbreviated tabular form for 677 chemicals or substance groupings found in the work environment.
The pocket guide includes the following:
- Chemical names, synonyms, trade names, conversion factors, Chemical Abstracts Service, Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances, and...
This algorithm for psychoses and schizophrenia treatment is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Psychoses, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (VA/DoD). It is intended to provide a systematic approach to the evaluation and management of patients with psychoses/schizophrenia.
The tool addresses the following:
- Strategies for treatment
- Followup and monitoring
- Use of...
This statement summarizes the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm and the supporting scientific evidence. It updates the 1996 recommendations contained in the Guide to Clinical Preventive Services , 2nd edition.
This tool includes the following sections:
- What does the USPSTF recommend?
- What are the risk factors for abdominal aortic aneurysm?
- What are the potential benefits of...