Active care processes: diagnosis and treatment
This 40-page guide, written for primary care and mental health clinicians, provides information for incorporating alcohol screening and intervention into clinical practice. The guide addresses two methods for screening: a single question (about heavy drinking days) to be used during a clinical interview and a written self-report instrument.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- What’s the same, what’s new in the 2005 update
- Before you begin...
This tool addresses common questions about migraine headaches including:
- What is a migraine headache?
- What causes migraine?
- Are there different kinds of migraine?
- How does a migraine headache differ from a tension headache?
- When should I seek help for my headaches?
- What tests are used to find out if I have migraine?
- Are women more prone to migraine headaches?
- How is a woman’s menstrual cycle related to migraine?
This fact sheet provides information about reading food labels to find foods that are lower in sodium.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Information on the food label
- Amount per serving
- Number of servings
- Percent daily value
This algorithm for psychoses and schizophrenia treatment is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Psychoses, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (VA/DoD). It is intended to provide a systematic approach to the evaluation and management of patients with psychoses/schizophrenia.
The tool addresses the following:
- Strategies for treatment
- Followup and monitoring
- Use of...
These algorithms are derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) in Adults, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (VA/DoD). The guideline is intended to identify the critical decision points in management of patients with depressive conditions, such as assessment, empirically supported psychotherapies and pharmacological therapies, non-major depressive disorder conditions deserving...
This Web site presents information about tuberculosis (TB). It is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) National Prevention Information Network (NPIN).
This site provides information on the following:
- What’s new in TB
- TB today
- The changing epidemiology of TB
- Populations most affected by TB
- Challenges to TB elimination
- TB elimination and control today
- Making the connection
This fact sheet summarizes the latest evidence to offer guidance about the risks and benefits of menopausal hormone therapy. It is designed to provide patients with information to help them communicate more effectively with their care providers and determine the best course of treatment on an individual basis.
The following topics are addressed in this fact sheet:
- Menopause and hormone therapy
- Alternatives to hormone therapy to help prevent postmenopausal conditions...
This tool outlines how the Federal Government intends to prepare, detect, and respond to the threat of pandemic influenza, whether it results from the avian flu or another influenza virus.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- President's letter
- The pandemic threat
- The National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza
- Pillars of the national strategy
- Implementation of the national strategy
- Preparedness and...
This algorithm is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline Management of Diabetes Mellitus, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense. By clicking on the individual steps in this interactive algorithm, the user can access the more detailed information in the Module M summary and related modules.
This algorithm includes the following steps:
- Is this a patient with newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus?