Active care processes: diagnosis and treatment
This 40-page guide, written for primary care and mental health clinicians, provides information for incorporating alcohol screening and intervention into clinical practice. The guide addresses two methods for screening: a single question (about heavy drinking days) to be used during a clinical interview and a written self-report instrument.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- What’s the same, what’s new in the 2005 update
- Before you begin...
This tool addresses common questions about migraine headaches including:
- What is a migraine headache?
- What causes migraine?
- Are there different kinds of migraine?
- How does a migraine headache differ from a tension headache?
- When should I seek help for my headaches?
- What tests are used to find out if I have migraine?
- Are women more prone to migraine headaches?
- How is a woman’s menstrual cycle related to migraine?
This fact sheet provides tips to help patients remember to take their blood pressure medications.
This Web site offers information to cancer control planners, program staff, and researchers in order to assist them in achieving their goals:
- to reduce cancer risk
- to reduce the number of new cancer cases
- to reduce the number of deaths from cancer
- to enhance the quality of life for cancer survivors
While many share the same goals, all do not have easy access to resources that can facilitate the transfer of evidence-based research findings into...
This Confusion Assessment Method (CAM) training manual has been designed to assist with the administration and coding of the CAM, and to provide supplementary information for interested clinical investigators.
The CAM improves the identification and recognition of delirium in geriatric patients. CAM enables non-psychiatrically trained clinicians to identify delirium quickly and accurately in both clinical and research settings on the basis of an interview with the patient that...
This table provides the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s previous and current recommendations for the initial hormonal management of androgen-sensitive metastatic, recurrent, or progressive prostate cancer.
This table provides the previous (2004) and current (2007) recommendations for the following topics:
- Is combined androgen blockade better than castration alone?
- Does early androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) improve outcomes over deferred therapy?
This pocket guide on inpatient mental health care is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) in Adults, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (VA/DoD). The guideline is intended to identify the critical decision points in management of patients with depressive conditions, such as assessment, empirically supported psychotherapies and pharmacological therapies, non-MDD conditions...
The AIDS info Drug Database provides HIV/AIDS drug fact sheets for the drugs most commonly used to treat patients with HIV/AIDS. The database includes fact sheets for both Food and Drug Administration-approved and investigational drugs. For each drug, patient, health professional, and Spanish versions are available. All three include links to an audio file of the correct pronunciation, as well as a link to additional sources of information about the drug.
Patient versions of...
This tool provides hand hygiene tips and suggestions for hand washing when running water is not available.
Tips are provided on:
- When you should wash your hands
- Using alcohol-based hand sanitizers
- Washing with soap and water
This 186-page chartbook is based on a broad review of recently published studies and reports, conducted to present a coherent picture of the quality of health care for elderly Medicare beneficiaries living in the community. The results are presented in 60 charts.
The topics in this chartbook are presented as follows:
- Summary and highlights
- Overview: Progress, gaps, and variations
- Challenges in measuring quality for the elderly population...