Active care processes: diagnosis and treatment
This series of fact sheets is intended for women who are HIV-positive and pregnant or have recently given birth. These fact sheets describe the steps an HIV-positive pregnant woman can take to preserve her health and prevent transmission of HIV to her baby.
These fact sheets provide information on the following topics:
- HIV testing and pregnancy
- Treatment regimens for HIV-positive pregnant women
- Safety and toxicity of anti-HIV medications during...
This table provides the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s previous and current recommendations for the initial hormonal management of androgen-sensitive metastatic, recurrent, or progressive prostate cancer.
This table provides the previous (2004) and current (2007) recommendations for the following topics:
- Is combined androgen blockade better than castration alone?
- Does early androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) improve outcomes over deferred therapy?
This guide for people with HIV infection provides information about the prevention and treatment of Mycobacterium avium complex disease (MAC). This tool is also available in Spanish.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- What is MAC disease?
- Can children get MAC disease?
- What are the symptoms of MAC disease?
- How is MAC disease diagnosed?
- How do people get MAC disease?
- How can I avoid MAC disease?
This tool provides recommendations to persons living and working in community shelters regarding basic infection control information that will help to prevent exposure to or transmission of infectious agents. It provides recommendations on the following topics:
- General infection prevention techniques
- Hand hygiene
- Cleaning the living environment and personal items
- Staff management of sheltered persons with infectious diseases
This 40-page guide, written for primary care and mental health clinicians, provides information for incorporating alcohol screening and intervention into clinical practice. The guide addresses two methods for screening: a single question (about heavy drinking days) to be used during a clinical interview and a written self-report instrument.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- What’s the same, what’s new in the 2005 update
- Before you begin...
This tool addresses common questions about migraine headaches including:
- What is a migraine headache?
- What causes migraine?
- Are there different kinds of migraine?
- How does a migraine headache differ from a tension headache?
- When should I seek help for my headaches?
- What tests are used to find out if I have migraine?
- Are women more prone to migraine headaches?
- How is a woman’s menstrual cycle related to migraine?
This fact sheet provides tips to help patients remember to take their blood pressure medications.
This tool is a two-page summary of three American Academy of Neurology guidelines on dementia. This summary focuses on Alzheimer’s disease (AD), for which current evidence is strongest and clearest.
This summary addresses the following practice parameters:
- Detection of dementia – Mild cognitive impairment
- Diagnosis of dementia
- Management of dementia
This summary also presents strategies to improve functional performance and reduce problem...
This Confusion Assessment Method (CAM) training manual has been designed to assist with the administration and coding of the CAM, and to provide supplementary information for interested clinical investigators.
The CAM improves the identification and recognition of delirium in geriatric patients. CAM enables non-psychiatrically trained clinicians to identify delirium quickly and accurately in both clinical and research settings on the basis of an interview with the patient that...
The Co-Occurring Disorders: Integrated Dual Disorders Treatment Resource Kit offers a treatment approach for people with co-occurring disorders—mental illness and a substance abuse addiction—by offering both mental health and substance abuse services simultaneously in one setting.
This toolkit includes the following:
- User’s Guide
- Selected articles
- For consumers
- For families and other...